Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

'02 Malibu: Body Control Module, problem persists!

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2013, 3:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 Malibu: Body Control Module, problem persists!

Dear All,

2002 Chevy Malibu
Recent repair: BCM (body control module [or "panel"]) replaced but problems have returned.

Background:

Before the BCM was replaced, when I would start the car, there was a noticeable delay (1 to 5 minutes) before:

1. the radio would start
2. the dashboard gauges would come on (gas gauge shows empty and oil temp gauge is flat at cold)
3. the AC would have power
4. the power windows worked

When any of the above was happening, the code reader picked up NOTHING!

Once these things DID come on, the 'Service Vehicle Soon' light would then display. About one month later, the "Theft System" light began to display and, ultimately, I couldn't get the car to start.

Car did give a "Body Control Module" code when that Theft System light was flashing and the car wouldn't start.

Upon recommendation of mechanic who pulled the BCM codes, I replaced the Body Control Module/Panel (part came from the dealer). The replacement went well, but as some of you likely know, Chevy dealers have to reprogram the electronics after BCM replacement. I took it to the dealer, they connected to, and ran, the programming, and I left.

For two weeks, the car ran well, with none of the previous problems.

But then the same signs began again, much as they had previously. Returned the car to the same shop, thinking that, perhaps, the BCM replacement was faulty. They held and examined for two days, but because the lights went out and all seemed to work well (for them), they said "no problem, it may be a wire, bring it back when the light is on, and we can take a look."

Any one encountered similar? I'm inclined to have someone explore the electrical--especially wiring--but dread a "replace one piece at a time" scenario. But, hell, it's a machine, and sometimes you have to do so.

Any guidance would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old April 4th, 2022, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Feel dumb asking. I cannot find the BCM on 2002 Malibu. Any guidance?