Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

'03 Malibu fuel pump/fails to start.

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2011, 7:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 Malibu fuel pump/fails to start.

History on the issue: About 2 years ago, car wouldn't start. Replaced fuel pump relay, no better so we replaced the pump with a used one. About 2 months later the car wouldn't start, I swapped the relay back to the original one and it worked fine for the last year and a half. Tuesday, after a full day of use, no start again. Pulled the relay and replaced with a new one, no good, so pulled the fuel pump and replaced it. I checked the one from the car with 12VDC and it works as well, also replaced filter. Misted gasoline into the air intake and it fires and runs until the fuel is exhausted. When cranking long term it tries to fire. No fuel pressure? No power to pump? I will have to slide under and have someone turn on ignition to see if I can hear the pump. Where would I check to see if there is voltage to the pump, or where would the DC voltage get interrupted so that the pump doesn't kick in? Is there a fuel pressure sensor that could coause this, can the system become air bound, or have a leak that would cause the pressure to drop? Thanks.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:57 AM
CF Beginner

Follow up: Got back under the car, fuel pump actuates when the key is turned on. Still no start, no codes indicated. I don't have a fuel pressure guage, thinking about trying the old "unplug the line and see if it squirts" method. If there appears to be flow from the pump, what is there ahead that could be an issue? Hit the line with a low pressure shot of air to see if it clears? Sure could use some help on this one, gang, cannot afford to play at the dealers, and I don't want to keep throwing money at it until I find the right thing. We need this car back up and running.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 5:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. You probably don't want to hear it but you need to start with the fuel pressure (41-47 psi with KOEO). Based on the history, I suspect it may be the fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator.
Old June 4th, 2011, 1:56 PM
CF Beginner

Update: Appears to be the Passlock system. Ten minutes with the key on, switch off and then start, back in business. Looks like I will be researching the bypass mod for this since I really can't drop the money for a new switch/sensor.