Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

04 Malibu Classic Turn Signal Stops Working Intermittently

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2010, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Malibu Classic Turn Signal Stops Working Intermittently

I have an '04 Chevy Malibu Classic. A couple weeks ago, the turn signal randomly would stop working, and start working again a few minutes later. It wasn't until it happened driving at night that I realized the signals themselves weren't working in addition to the dashboard display. I can't seem to find anything to link to it. It has happened when I first start the car and when its been running for a while when its hot, cold, dry, raining.

Last time it happened I tried the hazards and they worked even though the turn signal didn't. Any ideas?
Old September 5th, 2010, 10:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Signal Stalk. My Regal did the same thing and it cost $700 to get it replaced... thankfully I had an extended warranty on that car.
Old November 18th, 2011, 4:56 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy 05 chevy classic

my turn signals will only work when the car is cold (winter) without the heat on or in summer when the ac is on full blast. i do not no what the problem is. any ideas HELP!!!!!!!!!
Old November 19th, 2011, 9:22 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> katmack40,
I am sorry to hear of your turn signal frustrations. Is this a new occurrence? If not, how long has this been happening? Does it happen constantly or sporadically? Any further information you can provide would be helpful. I look forward to hearing from you.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 2nd, 2011, 1:50 AM
CF Beginner

Unhappy 05 chevy classic turn signal problem....to louis at gm

louis at gm it started about 2 yrs ago. it is constant. the turn signals will only work when real cold. winter with no heat on or the rest of the time with the ac on full blast. thank god my inspection is in january so the car is cold and they work and it passes. i have tryed changing fuses, bulbs. i dont know what else to do. it is an 05 chevy (malibu) classic. i bought it thru enterprise rent a car car sales. i love the car. it only had 63000 when i bought it and now has 139000. i have not had problems except i replaced ball joints. but this turn signal thing is really a pain in the a--. i heard there was a recall with a problem with hazzard switch which caused this problem. i really cannot afford to go to a garage and have them just start ripping all the wiring apart looking for something wrong. please i need help.......
Old December 2nd, 2011, 10:51 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> katmack40,

You are correct, there was a hazard switch recall; however it was for 2001 Malibu's. I can research your specific vehicle further if you would like. If so, please PM me your full name, phone number, VIN number and the dealer you usually work with. The cause of your problem could vary. Electrical issues are difficult to diagnose, especially online, and will likely require a visit to your dealer for inspection. If you would like me to proceed, please PM me the requested information. I look forward to your response.

Louis
GM Customer Service