Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

04 Malibu Maxx Remote Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2008, 10:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Malibu Maxx Remote Start Problem

We have the 04 Malibu Maxx with keyless entry and remote start.
Worked great for 4 years.
Now all of a sudden the remote start will not start car? when you press the button you can see the confirmation lights blink but no start.So I do know the signal is getting to car.
Remote keyless entry works great, the alarm arms with No problem.
New battery in remote
All doors closed and latches work.
DIC "remote starton".
No trouble codes or anti theft alarms.
Did not find any blown fuses.
Car has no problem starting with key.
Car battery is good.
As you can see running out of options?

My theory is maybe a bad RSV Relay??
If so what relay and where??
I dont even know where the alarm controll box is located or where any of the alarm wiring and relays are???
Have no info on the system or brand of factory alarm/rs. And I bought the car brand new!

Any help much appreciated!
I am a backyard mechanic and DIY guy ,refuse to pay through the nose for a simply $25 part!
If you know what I mean.LOL
Thanks to anyone!
Old November 14th, 2008, 11:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 04 Malibu Maxx Remote Start Problem

I would suspect the hood safety switch, problem is it not just a on off switch. From what I gather it sends a signal to the computer, I could be wrong though. Now if you could get some one with a Tech 2, you could find out in a minute.
Old November 14th, 2008, 12:14 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you changed the battery the FOB may have to be reprogrammed to the car, I have seen and heard of this, I have had to reprogram a few for customers. but it dont make sense the lock and other buttons work...

Old November 14th, 2008, 5:40 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

how do you know that there aren't any codes? some codes do not turn the check engine light on. Also some code readers may not get codes out of the door lock reciever module.
Dumb question but it must be asked....is it a factory remote starter? or aftermarket? You may have bought the vehicle brand new with it already on there, but the dealer could have added it before you got possession of the car.
When the lights blink...how many times to they blink?
Old November 15th, 2008, 8:05 AM
CF Beginner

As far as no codes,I scanned and nothing showed up and also did an erase anyway.
I understand about the more high end quip scan more detail than what us backyard mechnics have.As far as the alarm this was a factory alarm/rs system.In fact it was the first RS that chevy used (04 malibu) as factory installed to what I understand.
Let me tell you when this acted up.Was working great untill a complete tuneup last month.
My wife drove to work and then noticed the RS did not work.I checked it out and saw the check engine light on.I do know that it wont work in that state. Hooked up scanner and 1 code,turned out to be a misfire on 1 plug.It was a matter of the boot not on fully.
Fixed and reset with scantool. No other codes showed up since but RS not working since.
Like said everthing else of the alarm system works.
Lights blink once for confirmation.
I still have to check the hood latch switch.Just a pain to get the top plastic cover off without snapping the philliphead screws holding it in place!!(they spin without backing out of there sleeve!
Also heard that that switch is part of the latch.I will bypass the switch for testing and maybe adding a new pin switch if it is bad.
Old November 15th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Try removing a battery cable for a minute to clear any codes that may be hidden from your reader and to clear any logic lock that may have occurred in any of the modules
Old November 26th, 2008, 3:44 PM
CF Beginner

I have set of 2 remotes. So funny enough - but one works perfect, another one exactly like you describe, everything works but remote start
Old December 2nd, 2008, 8:29 PM
CF Beginner

The RVS system will not operate if any of the following conditions are present:[align=left]•
A current vehicle DTC that illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL)[/align][align=left]•
More than 2 remote starts have been attempted.[/align][align=left]•
The hazard switch is in the ON position.[/align][align=left]•
A current hazard switch DTC is set.[/align][align=left]•
The vehicle hood is ajar.[/align][align=left]•
A current hood ajar DTC is set.[/align][align=left]•
The CTD system detects an alarm trigger.[/align][align=left]•
Excessive engine RPM[/align][align=left]•
Excessive coolant temperature[/align][align=left]•
Accelerator pedal position greater than 0percent[/align][align=left]•
Vehicle not in park[/align][align=left]•
Vehicle theft deterrent malfunction[/align][align=left]•
A current automatic transmission shift lock control system DRC is set.[/align][align=left]•
A vehicle speed sensor signal is detected by the ECM.[/align][align=left]•
The vehicle is in valet mode.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]If you had a tech2 you could monitor all these things while attempting remote start. I thought the Valet mode was the most interesting. [/align]
Old December 7th, 2008, 11:38 PM
CF Beginner

What is Valet mode?
Old December 9th, 2008, 6:59 AM
CF Beginner

I dont think the factory alarm has a valet mode??
Thinks its either armed or disarmed.The manual dosen't mention it?
I had performed all sorts of checks aside from any that need that tech2 attached.
No luck and frustrated! I disconnected the hood latch to eliminate that ,same thing.
Does anyone know where this alarm and RS control box is actually located in the car?
And does anyone know if there are seperate fuses or relays just for the RS AND if so where are they located?
Just a reminder that the alarm part still works and when I try to RS (press lock and start button) the lights flash once to confirmed like NORMAL BUT NO START.
Thanks to all BTW Alot of help and ideas!

Quick Reply: 04 Malibu Maxx Remote Start Problem