Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

04 Z body Malibu Body Control Module

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2012, 11:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Z body Malibu Body Control Module

I was told by the dealer that the car needs a new body control module and that I cannot put a used one in it, they want to charge $700-$800 for a new one and to program it. Is this true? or can I purchase a used one?
Old September 25th, 2012, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

You will need to program it to your vin, never changed one that was not programed so i am not sure if it will work. let us know.
Old September 25th, 2012, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

thanks icemanthe1, I understand that it will need to be programmed to my vin. When I stopped by dealer, I asked them if I could pull one out of a salvage yard, and they said that once the BCM is programmed, it cannot be reprogrammed again, therefore needing a brand new one. I want to make sure that this is indeed the case, or can a BCM be reprogrammed on this car? I have seen BCM for sale are various sites and am trying to find a way to not spend a ton of money on this problem. thanks for the reply.
Old September 25th, 2012, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

Here is the name and phone number of a place where I have bought ecm's from you can call them Rodney is the he will talk straight you. Rodney Brenner 330-473-0426 he can program them and send it to you using your vin its worth a shot. Its called spareECM
Old September 26th, 2012, 8:38 AM
CF Beginner

wow, that's awesome icemanthe1, thanks, I will call him right away.
Old September 26th, 2012, 8:56 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2001-2005 Chevy Malibu BCM Body Control module requires programming

There are companies out there that rebuild them also. If yours is repaired it will not need programing
Old October 7th, 2012, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks MDTahoe, I ended up getting a new Body Control Module and had the dealership program it. Was not a bad price all together. The car worked fine for the past few days. That being said, went to the car today and the battery was dead. As I was charging the battery, I noticed the turn signals were blinking at a fast rate and heard clicking coming from the passenger side trans tunnel. This is the exact thing that the car was doing which is why I had the BCM replaced. It looks like the alarm system is going haywire. Any suggestions on what I should pursue next? I do not want to dump another $300+ into it to chase this problem. Thanks.
Old October 7th, 2012, 7:50 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Take it back to the dealer and give them hell. They obviously misdiagnosed it.
Old October 8th, 2012, 9:33 AM
CF Beginner

Actually MDTahoe, it was my mistake, I am the one that asked them to install the BCM, I never actually had them diagnose it. I knew the BCM was going when the door locks kept on cycling through, thought that would fix the alarm problem as well. I am open to suggestions on what you may think the problem is. Your help is very much appreciated.
Old October 8th, 2012, 9:52 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

I have never seen that problem before so unless I actually do testing to the car I really can be of no help. It is electrical problem that is going to require some pinpoint testing with some specific tools. I recommend you take it to the dealer or an extremely good independent shop. Note that the problem must be easily duplicated while someone is looking at it or it will only be a guess.

Quick Reply: 04 Z body Malibu Body Control Module