Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

08-12 Malibu Headlight Bulbs Replacement Guide With 105 Pictures

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2012, 10:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08-12 Malibu Headlight Bulbs Replacement Guide With 105 Pictures

Hey guys,

I just finished writing up a how-to/DIY guide for replacing any of the headlight bulbs (low beam, high, turn signal, side marker) in a 7th gen (08-12) Malibu.

I took 105 detailed pictures of the process so just about anyone should be able to do this and save a bunch of $$$ compared to going to the dealership.

The 'bu is by far the most time consuming car of the 20+ that I've had to change headlight bulbs on over the years. But it isn't impossible or all that difficult.

Here's the gallery & instructions - 08-12 Malibu Headlight Bulbs Replacement Guide

I hope someone finds it to be useful.

This moment felt so good to finally pull away the bumper cover and have access to the headlight assembly after 30 minutes of removing bolts and fasteners.

Last edited by Paul79UF; August 29th, 2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old December 5th, 2013, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

Wow. Thanks for posting this. I've had to do some totally ridiculous things to do what should basically simple tasks on cars in the past. The task that used to lead the pack was replacing the starter motor on a 1990 Lexus LS400, but changing out a single headlamp on this 2012 Malibu is now the new #1. It may be I'm just getting old, but having to do all this just to replace a lamp is beyond silly. Be that as it may, I really appreciate the time and effort it took for you to post this. It's a great help, as I refuse to pay an exorbitant amount of cash to replace a $20.00 lamp.
Old December 25th, 2013, 8:16 AM
CF Junior Member

Default not good

Yes, another thank you for posting.
Why does it seem this stuff happens in the winter when working on a vehicle is no fun at all and downright nasty.
I'm going to see if my torpedo heater still works and get into this.
I can only imagine this is a 200+ dollar job at the dealer. I also have to say this is not a customer friendly job for the average person.
Old January 8th, 2014, 5:36 AM
CF Beginner

jampg, I hear you man, my plate light went out, and the screws that hold it in place are shot of course. And I changed the bulbs over the summer after getting pulled over twice in five minutes by the same cop for headlight and tail light going out, it was not any fun I hope that you're post helps someone else wish I had it then!
Old June 10th, 2014, 10:42 AM
CF Beginner

First of all, I seriously want to slap somebody at GM for designing the headlights this way! The writeup that Paul79UF did was excellent - thank you! Also, I found this video really helpful too because it showed me about how much to yank on the bumper and the headlight housing to get it out without breaking it: Headlight Change 2008-2012 Chevrolet Malibu - 2010 Chevrolet Malibu LT 2.4L 4 Cyl.
Old June 10th, 2014, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

I just had to buy a new light/bracket set for my 2001 chevrolet malibu, Carquest man installed for free, but cost $ 14.00. I was
concerned that both holes had ripped out, but he made it work.
Old November 4th, 2014, 4:06 PM
CF Junior Member

I just did the second bulb change on my sons 09. It does get easier but still took me about an hour to do the job.
Getting the christmas tree fasteners out of the wheel liner was the hardest part. I need the correct tool for that...