Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

08 Malibu exact same issues as Karl

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2017, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Malibu exact same issues as Karl

I was happy to see that someone else has had the same issues thinking I would be able to find an easy answer. I have had the exact same issues. The dealer said my battery showed zero power and was corroded but nothing was showing up as far as codes. They said to start with a new battery. I had not ever had trouble with it starting or a battery light so thought was odd. This coincidentally worked for a couple of days. When it started misbehaving again, I checked the fuses. Several of the case fuses were loose and snapped in when I pushed on them. It was dark so I couldn't see very well. I canceled my appointment because it worked fine for about a month. Now it started shifting on its own while driving and after shutting it off it will not start. I had picked up a couple of fuses on my way home and when I opened the fuse panel I realized the #55 case fuse (30 amp) was missing. It says DC/AC (NV(30 A)) I had not noticed it when I looked in the dark previously. I have not installed it yet. Does this not seem odd that it was not there and the dealer did not notice it. Is it a necessary fuse? I was hoping to hear a response before trying it. My 100 thou. warranty is nearing expiration as well. Any thoughts please.
Old February 25th, 2017, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

I just wanted to add more info because this did not thread with Karl's message.
I have what I have been told is a Chevrolet 2008 Malibu with a 3.5L V6 engine installed. For the last several months I have been having a very annoying intermittent electrical problem. When I first noticed it the only two systems which seemed to be affected were the Traction Control (indicator would indicate system was shut off when I didn't shut it off and the LED readout on dash would state Traction Needs Serviced) and the Theft Deterrent Indicator would illuminate on the dash. If the security light (theft) comes on, the car will not shift, it sticks in possibly 3rd. If I shut it off and restart it a couple of times, the lights go off and it will be okay. The engine, brake, traction controle, ABS, and antitheft lights all come on and everything flashed. The gauges also go crazy.
Old February 25th, 2017, 11:33 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Check your alternator, alternator wiring and the battery cables for loose connections and corrosion at both ends. With bad connections they tend to do weird things.
Old February 25th, 2017, 11:52 AM
CF Beginner

Will do. I am about to put in the missing fuse. Thank you.