Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Gas Gauge problem?

Old March 24th, 2011, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Chevrolet Malibu Gas Gauge problem?

Whatsup everyone? This my first post, hopefully someone can help me out with this.

I just recently purchased a 99' Malibu V6 LS. I was originally going to fix it and sell it, because I got such a good deal on it. What was supposed to be a weekend of repairs, turned into a 2 week endeavor. Mostly Autozone's fault, but it was one thing after the other. I ended up replacing almost the entire front braking system (brackets, pads, rotors, guide pins), both wheel hubs, brake line, rear wheel cylinder, and a new battery. And Autozone kept giving me the wrong parts, or would order them and they never come in on time. Ughh....

After the car was finally done I took it for a spin. I loved the ride, and it was a completely different change from what I'm used to (Honda Civc). Although I love my civic for the nimble ride, I love the Malibu's relaxed ride. I decided to keep it because of this actually, but I think there's a problem with the gas gauge. I always fill my cars up when I first get them to test gas mileage. So after doing so I drove maybe 29 miles, and my gas gauge read 3/4 already? The way it looks I'll be lucky if I hit 200 miles to the tank. The car is driving fine, and doesn't seem to running weird. Shouldn't I be getting close to almost 300 or so to the tank? What gas mileage should be expected for normal driving? I live in upstate NY and theres a lot of open roads, so not city driving. And is this a common problem for the Malibu's/GM's?
Old March 24th, 2011, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

Yup. 99-00-01 GM fuel sending units were all crap. Almost any GM in those years has fuel guage problems caused by the sending unit. My '99 Silverado guage bounces all over. It's mostly right, but "consistently inconsistent". Hope that helps.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

i had bought a 1999 olds cutlass, had to do head gaskets and now the car has a miss after high rpms. the gas gauge also acts wierd. i am only getting 19 mpg in town and on highway, speed does not change mpgs does any have any ideas?
Old May 1st, 2013, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

engine won't turn over... smell gas/ check engine light...... PLEASE HELP !!!
Old June 10th, 2013, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

Does anybody know if it's easier to replace the fuel sending unit in the 99 Malibu or would it make more sense to just replace the whole fuel pump?

Our car will read correctly if we fill it up all the way until just below half a tank. After that it's all over the place.