Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

1999 Malibu Turn Signal & E-brake Problems

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2006, 9:53 PM
pwd
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Malibu Turn Signal & E-brake Problems

My 1999 Malibu 3.1l has two interesting problems. First the E-brake light/ beeper goes off randomly and secondly the turn signal flasher clicks randomly.

In terms of the E-brake light I checked the brake fuild and that seems to be up to the fill level and there is no problems with braking as of yet. I figure it must be the switch because for the last 2 years the E-brake light did not work at all. Now it beeps randomly. More over bumps and when you turn at speed. I was wondering how would someone get that the switch? Does the computer have to be taken out?

The turn signals are another problem. They work when you use the lever normaly and I check the light and they work. There is no burnt out lights and the clicking is at a normal pace. Although the flasher randomly clicks at a rapid pace. I heard there was a recall for this although the dealers around here say there isn't. I was told if the hazard flasher is replaced the problem would be solved. Although clearly that is not the case. The flasher still clicks randomly. Also note that when it clicks the turn lights do not go on.

I was thinking now it has to be a wiring problem or that the lever assembly is defective and/or needs rebuilding?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eric
Old October 8th, 2006, 12:19 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1999 Malibu Turn Signal & E-brake Problems

The brake fluid level switch is located at the master cylinder and sounds like the problem in this case.
The computer doesn't have to be touched for this.

The signal light issue is the multifunction switch , the lever on the left that's used to engage the turn signals, it's a common problem and needs to be replaced.

There was a recall for the hazard flasher switch but has nothing to do with this problem.