Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2004 Malibu - loses power, check engine light flashes and dings rapidly, please read

Old September 25th, 2015, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Malibu - loses power, check engine light flashes and dings rapidly, please read

Hello!
I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu, with 80,000 miles on it. I've had two occasions, a few months apart, the last one two days ago. The latter, I turned off of my street onto the main street, and my car started to lose power, the check engine light dinging and flashing rapidly. The car almost comes to a stop, barely allowing me to make it one block to turn on and turn the car off.

The car smells as if it is loading up. I shut the car off and wait a couple of minutes and the car starts up and is okay. I drove about a mile and went into the store, and came out and the car started, and started vibrating and running rough. I've had that issue a few months, very sporadic. If I shut the car off then and restart the car, it fixes the issue.

I'm not sure if the previous issue, has anything to do with the first paragraph. I've asked others in the family, and they are stumped as to what is going on. When the car runs rough, no light comes on. When it has lost power the two times, it does comes on, dings and flashes rapidly and goes off once I shut the car off. It isn't on when i restart the car.

If anyone can give me some insight, I would be very thankful. I appreciate you taking the time to read this.

Cindy

Old September 26th, 2015, 7:36 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2004 Malibu - loses power, etc.

We need more information. Is the car a Classic or the new body style for this year? Is it an 4 or 6 cylinder? Have you had the codes read off the computer since the check engine light was on? AutoZone and Advanced Auto usually will read them with their scan tool for free.

One item to look at is the cat convertor(s) stopping up. When it gets dark outside, start the car up and run it until it is at normal operating temperature. Raise the hood up with the car running and see if the cat. convertor(s) are glowing red. If it is glowing red, the convertor most likely is stopping up. But if it is not glowing red the convertor(s) are probably OK. The convertor(s) will be very HOT so do not touch it. The car will be running so be mindful where you lay your hands.

My wife's van was acting like this and it was an convertor stopping up.

Need to have the trouble codes read from the car's computer and this will point the way to the issue. The exact issue will not be spelled out on the scanner but it will be a starting point. Good luck.
Old September 26th, 2015, 9:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

+2 for plugged catalytic convertor. remove the precat 02 sensors for each bank. if the cars power is restored...you have confirmation.

the exhaust gases will back up so bad it causes misfires and fuel trim readings that are all over the place. does the car idle ok.
Old September 27th, 2015, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

Default Checked under the hood last night...

Hi,

I did look under the hood last night, and there was nothing glowing

Thanks
Cindy
Old September 27th, 2015, 8:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

they only glow red when they are flooded with raw fuel from over fueling. they still can be clogged stopping air flow out the exhaust and not get red hot.