Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2000 Chevy Malibu won't start

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2010, 9:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

have you had the battery and alternator tested? checked the cable connections?
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a power issue to me check the alternator battery not so much battery is just there for starting purposes if the alternator checks out i would start looking into module's three main one's to check in that car the BCM (body control module), PCM (powertrain control module), and the ECM (Engine Control Module) most likely not the bcm that is mainly for radio lock trunk release funtions and such. ECM i am almost willing to bet is the culprit if not the alternator. Hope this helps
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:41 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I have recently put a new alternator on it. That was a couple of months ago. The battery is good and holds charge. After the car sits for about 10-20 minutes the car starts right back up on the first crank. Then after a few miles, it will do it again. Not always some times its just act like it don't have enough power so if I don't push it, drive a little slower at a steady speed it won't die, other times I can punch the gas and it will shift like its suppose to and gain speed, other times I push the gas real hard and the car will not gain any speed, like it don't have the power to pull itself or something. I keep leaning toward a fuel or timing issue? Dont Know
Old April 5th, 2010, 12:29 AM
CF Beginner

It sounds like it might be your fuel filter if you haven't replaced it yet i had the same problem about 5 months ago replaced and it ran great till today when i believe the fuel pump went out on me.
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Finally !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, Sorry it took so long to get back with you, but at the beginning when the car started stalling a friend of mine at work , Matt said that it was the Crankshaft Positioning Sensor. I went to the Auto Parts store to get one, and while I was in their I let the guy at the counter talk me out of it. He said that what my car was doing didn't sound like a Crankshaft Positioning Sensor, and It doesn't, until the sensor gets warm, thats when it fails, not while it is cold, so that explains my temperature theory. So after all of the parts and the time and aggervation, it was the CRANKSHAFT POSITIONING SENSOR the whole time. Replaced it as a last resort, thought why not, replace everything else, and It has not died one time, and it has been almost a month. Thanks everyone for your help and if you know of anyone having this problem please let them know the CRANKSHAFT POSITIONING SENSOR.
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:47 AM
CF Beginner

My 99 Malibu 4 cylinder is hesitating and choking when I give it gas. Like it wont accelerate smoothly without hesitating or choking. Another thing is when the car starts to hesitate my speedometer starts to bounce up and down. However, the problem doesn't occur when I am stopped and not giving the engine any gas. Has anyone had this problem before or may have an idea what it could be?

Thank you
Old September 26th, 2015, 11:29 PM
CF Beginner

hi i have a 2000 chevy malibu died while i was driving cant get it to start i changed the ignition switch . am getting fuel through the bleeder but no power to my coils and have also disabled my security system and it just cranks with no start all fuses look good plus replaced the crankshaft position sensor...both of them and now am stumped. anyone with any help would be a savor

Last edited by icemaneddie92; September 26th, 2015 at 11:43 PM.