Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2000 Malibu blower stopped working

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2015, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Malibu blower stopped working

I bought a 2000 Malibu a few weeks ago and the heat/air worked fine. After a couple of weeks, the blower started cutting off after running for a few minutes. Now, it doesn't work at all. I bought a new resistor pack for the speed control. I bought a new control head. I have checked the fuses and relays in the dash and under the hood and they are fine. I took the blower motor out and ran 12 volts directly to it and it runs fine like that. Does anybody have any idea what the problem might be? Thanks for taking the time to read my question.
Old May 10th, 2015, 9:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How long did the blower motor run when you took it out? Did you run it for a few minutes to see if it would die?
Old May 10th, 2015, 9:54 PM
CF Beginner

Did it squeal before stopping? If so it may be a dry bearing.
Old May 12th, 2015, 2:11 PM
CF Beginner

I ran the blower with 12 volts directly to it four or five times but only for probably 10 or 15 seconds each time. It didn't make a squealing noise or anything before it quit. It worked fine for a couple of weeks. Then, it would work for a few minutes and just shut off. It did that for about a week or so, and now, it Doesn't come on at all. Even after replacing the resistor pack and control head. When the car is moving and the air conditioning button is engaged, you can feel cold air lightly coming out of the vents but the blower isn't running at all. I have had other cars that did the same thing when the blower was off and the A/C was on but, the blower worked when you turned it on.
Old May 12th, 2015, 8:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

try this;
key on, blower turned to high...hammer fist the blower motor. If it starts working, the motor brushes are worn out...replace the blower motor.

if this does not work, check for power and grd to the blower motor.
Old May 12th, 2015, 8:48 PM
CF Beginner

I hooked my meter to the two wires that plug into the blower when I was changing the resistor pack and with the key turned on and the motor not running, it read a solid, steady 12 volts, as I had expected. Then, with the engine running, it fluctuated from around 13.4 to 13.8 volts, which was also what I expected, more or less and, assumed to be normal. My son drove the car to work tonight, so, I will have to wait and try banging on the bottom of the motor with my fist in the morning. Normally, one of the first things most folks do when they have a mechanical issue is pull a "Fonzie" and bang on stuff with their fist but, in this case, I didn't do that. I guess maybe I didn't think of it because of the location of the blower motor not being conducive to that technique. Lol. Thanks for that idea. I will remove the cover, yet again, and give it a shot in the morning. I'm willing to try pretty muchN anything to get it fixed. It's starting to get hot here in Tennessee.