Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2000 Malibu Clunking

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2015, 10:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Malibu Clunking

The other day, I went to reverse and it randomly dragged one of my right wheels in the dirt driveway enough to wear it made a huge mark until I stopped reversing. Once I drove forward to get back into my spot to check out what was going on, it made a loud clunking sound repeatedly whenever I was turning right. It did stop dragging the wheel when reversing though. I had no choice but to drive with that to get home and it seems like the sound is coming from my front passenger wheel well. It also started to just make one loud clunk while driving and turning either way to go through curves. I just replaced everything with the breaks and have new spark plugs and wires (not that those are the problem, just saying). Also have a new right outer tire rod. I have 167,XXX miles and keep up regular maintenance. What could be the problem? Any ideas helpful!
Old June 27th, 2015, 11:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Sound coming from front right - is that the wheel that was dragging? What exactly did you do with your brakes? How long ago did you do the work? Does it feel like it drags or pulls going forward?
Old June 27th, 2015, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about 85% sure it was that front right wheel dragging but I was driving so I can't just assume so. We replaced the rotors and pads within the last mont, and it feels fine driving forward! The only thing I notice is the clunking, no pulling or dragging. Like it just stopped dragging after that one time.