Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2000 Malibu - no fuel pressure at rail

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Malibu - no fuel pressure at rail

Well, I have had a heck of a go with my 2000 Malibu, 110K miles.

A few weeks back, I was extremely low on gas. Right as I hit the gas station, the engine dies. I coast to the pump, throw in a few gallons and it won't turn over. I ended up towing it the next day. As soon as it comes off th flat bed wrecker, it fires right up.

So, I am going to start simple and replace the filter. It was rusted on, so I drove it to the dealer for them to change, and asked them to check pressure also. They told me the pressure was 51lbs after change and that they couldn't blow through the filter, so I figure problem solved.

A couple weeks later, I notice some dripping anti-freeze so I tear into the whole intake manifold issue. I get done last night, all except for flushing the system and get in to turn it over. First turn of the key and I hear one of my injectors hissing. I try and few ways to pop it down a bit more without tearing back down to the rail. I get into try again, and this time nothing. No pressure, no gas on the rail.

Today I go ahead and tear it back down and reset all the injectors. I get back in, turn the key and still nothing. Just for kicks, I spray some starter fluid down the air cleaner tunnel and it definatly tried to turn over. I never have gotten any pressure on the rail again.

So, now I have to trouble shoot that and can use advice. For cost and repair time reasons, I'd sure like to figure out if it is something other than the fuel pump. Based on research, I have seen people saying it could be any of the following:

- Fuel pressure regulator
- The wiring harness on the tank
- The fuel pump
- the sock inside the tank, basically making the same repair as the fuel pump

When I turn the key, I can hear the fuel pump humming. Last night, I could hear the injectors clicking at first, but even if they were all somehow failing, I should still get fuel on the rail, right?

So, any suggestions on how to troubleshoot any of this and isolate the problem?
Old July 24th, 2010, 12:14 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel Relay Sensor under the hood in the fuse box.