Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2000 malibu oil pressure issue.

Old October 23rd, 2013, 1:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 malibu oil pressure issue.

My daughter has a 2000 with 145k. It's developed the knock/tick I've found tons of info about but not sure what my next step might be. It was neglected a bit by previous owner, oil changes not always done in a timely manner. I've done a complete tune up, plugs,wires, pcv, oil change with 5/30 and some rislone additive thinking I might rid the tick. I pulled off the valve covers and ran engine and I'm getting a pretty small amount oil coming up through push rods. Hooked up an external oil pressure gauge and am showing 40psi. I'm not real familiar with these smaller engines, thought for sure with that pressure and valve covers off I'd be seeing a good amount of oil squirting out the rockers. Every time I've ever pulled covers off any other engine it has gotten real messy real quick but not so with this engine. Any suggestions on where/what to check next? I'm wondering if possible partial blockage of oil pick up screen. I'm at a loss on this thing. I'm capable of performing all the work. Have a huge snap on tool box of every tool you could think of. Thanks in advance for any help, and if you need any more info just let me know.
Old October 24th, 2013, 12:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

A partial blockage of oil pick up screen is more likely to cause the oil pressure to drop while the engine running at high RPM (freeway driving). I would expect an even flow of oil off each of the rockers with the engine running above idle for a few minutes. If the rockers and push rods are worn too much the lifters may not be able to compensate for this much ware.

3.1L ? has long and short push rods, Don't mix them up.
Old October 24th, 2013, 2:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to drop the pan without pulling off the right side sub frame? All I have found say it needs to come off.