Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2001 Malibu Ignition Problem/Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2014, 12:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Malibu Ignition Problem/Troubleshooting

I inherited a 2001 Malibu with 25,000 miles about a year ago and has always run great. Recently, it would not start however. After searching the web seemed to show the classic passlock symptoms but wouldn't respond to the fixes. When I turn the key, nothing on the dash lights up except for the theft light. However, after fooling around a bit, it seems when I turn the key form the acc to on position more aggressively, everything lights up and it starts fine. Any ideas of the cause of this? Is this a repair only a dealer could perform? Thanks.
Old April 11th, 2014, 5:40 PM
cj1
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by coolman23
I inherited a 2001 Malibu with 25,000 miles about a year ago and has always run great. Recently, it would not start however. After searching the web seemed to show the classic passlock symptoms but wouldn't respond to the fixes. When I turn the key, nothing on the dash lights up except for the theft light. However, after fooling around a bit, it seems when I turn the key form the acc to on position more aggressively, everything lights up and it starts fine. Any ideas of the cause of this? Is this a repair only a dealer could perform? Thanks.
Does using another key make a difference? You may have to remove the switch to test for intermit operation.
Old April 11th, 2014, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Works the same for both keys. It's really not that difficult to start. If I turn it straight to the on position nothing lights up but the theft light. If I turn it back to acc and then quickly to on everything lights up and it starts.
Old April 12th, 2014, 10:04 AM
cj1
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by coolman23
Works the same for both keys. It's really not that difficult to start. If I turn it straight to the on position nothing lights up but the theft light. If I turn it back to acc and then quickly to on everything lights up and it starts.
Yes i would say intermit switch. Look at the wiring starting diagram to verify.
Eventually will not start at all, so best to fix will still intermit.