Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Sudden surge

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2012, 7:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Sudden surge

Hi,

First time here. I am having a problem with my 2001 Malibu and hoping someone here is familiar with the problem. Sometimes when stopped, sitting at a lite, with foot on the brake, the car will just suddenly want to surge ahead. without foot firmly planted on the brake it would take off. Also some times the idle fluctuates especially noticeable at idle. The tach will bounce and I can feel the miss. There are no codes set and no cell lite. I don't know if these issues are related but I would appreciate any suggestions. I have replaced plugs and wires. About 75,000 miles.

Thank you
Old April 22nd, 2012, 9:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have an air leak. Unmetered air enters the engine, the PCM compensates by adding more fuel, and you end up with fluctuations in RPM which is most noticeable at idle. Look for cracked vacuum hoses or something. Sometimes the brake vacuum booster itself can be the source of the leak.