Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2002 Malibu Anti Theft Issue

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2012, 5:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Malibu Anti Theft Issue

Ok, so about a month ago my car died mid drive. I pulled over and all the lights were on including the Anti-Theft light. I took it to the dealership and they said they had to replace the ignition.

So they did, and now (a month later) I have the same problem, The car died mid drive , and I can't turn it back on.
But this time the "Anti Theft" light isn't on.

I turn the key and the car cranks but wont turn over. All the lights are on (check engine, oil, ect) except for the anti theft light.

I tried a method where you turn the key on to the "on " position for 10 mins, then off for 5 seconds then try to start it. But that doesn't seem to work . Most likely because the theft light isn't on.

Any help would be awesome.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 9:37 PM
CF Beginner

doesnt sound like an issue with the anti theft sounds more like your fuel pump died. but with out looking at it myself i couldnt tell ya for sure
Old October 23rd, 2012, 11:32 PM
CF Beginner

Any way to check it myself?
Old October 24th, 2012, 10:43 AM
CF Beginner

with a fuel pump you should hear it start running. you can put your ear near the fuel cap and have someone cycle the key on and off to listen for it. also you can try hitting the gas tank with a hammer in the approximate location of the fuel pump while the key is off and after a few good hits try to start it. if it starts you need a new fuel pump. if not check fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge. the connection is on the fuel rail near the upper plenume of the intake and should have a black or green cap on it. autozone or orileys should have a fuel pressure tester you can barrow. also check the fuses and relays for the fuel pump. make sure they are not blown.
Old October 24th, 2012, 2:54 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you for the reply! I had a friend try to start the car while I listened to the fuel cap spot. I heard zero sound from it. I then hit what I'm assuming is the gas tank (Im new to working on cars) It was a giant plastic tank near the fuel side.
But anyways, i hit it a few times all over and the car still wouldn't start.

I had someone shake the car and I hear fluid so I'm assuming the gas gauge isn't broken.

So If I'm hearing no noise It's safe to assume the Fuel pump is gone?
Old October 24th, 2012, 3:17 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryMasta
Thank you for the reply! I had a friend try to start the car while I listened to the fuel cap spot. I heard zero sound from it. I then hit what I'm assuming is the gas tank (Im new to working on cars) It was a giant plastic tank near the fuel side.
But anyways, i hit it a few times all over and the car still wouldn't start.

I had someone shake the car and I hear fluid so I'm assuming the gas gauge isn't broken.

So If I'm hearing no noise It's safe to assume the Fuel pump is gone?
I'd suggest Yes, however check the pressure as suggested. In this case if you don't hear it, you can loosen the fuel connector, if the pump is working (which I doubt) you should get fuel with key on. With also was suggested check fuse, relay that control the pump. If the fuse is blown, that indicates a short, and that pretty much indicates pump.
Old October 24th, 2012, 6:39 PM
CF Beginner

its only a short if it keeps blowing but yes i would go the extra step and check pressure and fuses. but it is really sounding like the fuel pump is gone. yes you were pounding on the gas tank which is what you wanted to do. i would also go as far as to check for power at the fuel pump by disconnecting the connector and hooking a volt meter to it and cycling the key looking for if i remember right 12 volts
Old October 24th, 2012, 8:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

open the air cleaner and give a 2 second spray of brake cleaner (not brake fluid) into the throttle body. If it fires up briefly, you have confirmed a fuel delivery problem.