Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2002 Malibu will not start

Old August 13th, 2005, 6:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Malibu will not start

We are having a problem with a 2002 Chevy Malibu not starting. Brief explanation: Car was running fine, went in a store, 30 minutes later come out and the car won't start. Cra is turning over and acts like it could start, almost like no fuel going to engine. We checked fuses, and then we checked to see if the spark plugs were firing. Took a plug out and re-connected the wire and no spark at all. Auto store suggested replacing the cranshaft sensor. Need help locating the sensor to replace it, and also any other advice as to what could be causing the problem. We are going to tow the vehicle, and before towing we are going to listen for the pump to make sure that isn't the problem. We don't think it is the problem because as mentioned before we have no spark happening. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.Thanks.
Old June 19th, 2006, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2002 Malibu will not start

My Malibu is doing the same thing. Did you find out what it was? Mine is turning over but will not start. Thank you !!!
Old June 23rd, 2006, 6:42 PM
CF Beginner

Mine does this all the time? It's usually my darn Theft System. Does it constantly. Lately it's been good, but every now and then, it'll just turn on, and I have to wait 10 minutes with the car just turned on, not trying to start the car.... and take the key out, open and close the door, then it'll start right up. If the Theft System isn't turning on, check the light on it... Cause a couple of my friends who also have malibu's have the same exact problem. To me, that's the only thing that really makes me want to drive something other than a malibu... but I love it too much! lol.
Also, there's sometimes if the fuel is low, like around quarter of a tank, and it'll just poop out... so I like to put it in neutral, push is up and down the drive way... and it gets it started just fine. Hope this might help ya! CHEVY STILL RULES!! lol.
Old November 11th, 2006, 12:48 AM
CF Beginner

WELL IT COULD BE ONE OF 2 THINGS CRANK SHAFT PISITION SENSOR (CPS) OR BACK FUEL PUMP ONE TO TELL IF UR PISITION SENSOR IS BAD TAKE OFF THE END OF THE INTAKE TUBE GOING TO THE AIR BOX AND SMELL IT. IF YOU SMELL GAS WELL THEN BAD CPS AND IF THE CPS IS GOING OUT WHEN YOU MAKE SHARP TURNS OR SUDDEN STOP DOES IS TURN OFF IF THAT HAPPENS THEN U HAVE A BAD OR LOOSE CONNECTED CPS ALSO. BUT IF YOU DONT SMELL GAS IN THE INTAKE TUBE HAVE SOME ONE SIT BY THE BACK OF THE CAR AND TURN THE KEY ON THE ON PISITION AND THE PERSON NEAR THE BACK SHOULD HEAR A WINE OR A HISS THAT MEANS THE FUEL PUMP IS PUMPING GAS TO THE MOTOR... BUT I DONT KNO WHAT ELSE TO TELL YOU IF U HAVE NE OTHER QUESTION LET ME KNO

BIG CHIEF
Old November 11th, 2006, 1:58 PM
CF Active Member

the easiest and most simple way to find out if its the fuel pump, just disconect the fuel filter and try to start the car. if fuel doesnt shoot out then the pump is bad. hope that helps....
Old November 11th, 2006, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

just listen for the fuel pump wine that a lot better than having a gas mess every were
Old November 13th, 2006, 12:33 AM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: 313hitman

the easiest and most simple way to find out if its the fuel pump, just disconect the fuel filter and try to start the car. if fuel doesnt shoot out then the pump is bad. hope that helps....
The factory passlock security system turns off the fuel pump , so if they are having problems with the security system the fuel pump won't run.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 12:44 PM
CF Beginner

my 2001 malibu has the same problem, had it to my dealer twice, they cannot pinpoint anything, other than selling me a new battery, which did not help.
Old December 31st, 2006, 2:05 AM
CF Beginner

My parents car is having the same problems that it will not start. Also the breaks make a squeeling noise and it smells inside after a while driving like gas.
Old July 17th, 2007, 10:04 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, here's what's happening.

The 10 minute time frame is the indicator that points
to a passlock problem. 10 minutes is the magic number
that says the passlock has been put into long tamper mode,
the vehicle thinks someone is trying to start the car with
the incorrect key.

If there is no aftermarket remote start in the vehicle,
then I would suggest taking it to the dealership for repair.

If there is an aftermarket remote start, then whatever method that was used to bypass the passlock is malfunctioning.

Now don't confuse this. The reaction you are having IS
due to the GM PASSLOCK II system being breached & activated
or, it is malfunctioning. In either case, this is
what (in this car) is troubling you. The trouble
though is that the local mechanic at
the gas station can't help here.

Sorry, but the passlock is GM's way
of getting you coming and going.

There is no outside method other then circumventing
it momentarilly to allow remote start, which won't
fix your troubles.

Nope, this is a GM issue and has to be corrected there,
or an outside shop will charge you bukoo bucks
to replace the whole VATS. (VERY PRICEY $$$$!)

Sorry wish I could be more help, but if it's
intermittent now, then it needs they're technician,
they're factory computer diagnostics to fix it.

There will be a fee involved to reset it, but much less
then replacing the entire VATS-Passlock system.

There is some info on how too disable the system on the internet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Malibu will not start