Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2002 Malibu will not start

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2007, 7:24 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2002 Malibu will not start

cmp6 ... your post is a little confused.

The VATS and PassLock II are two completelydifferent systems.

On most of the vehicles from at least 1996 to at least 2004 GM used the PassLock II security system . This system is not key specific meaning there is no chip inside the key.

The reason it's a dealer recommended repair is the ignition switch has a specific resistance value and the BCM isconfigured to recognize it. To properly repair the issue the ignition switch may be replaced and the BCM has to be reconfigured to this replacement switch. This has absolutely nothing to do with the key itself.

The bypass module for a remote start system is simply a box that has a multiple of resistance values available to be selected for a particular vehicle. This module is spliced into the " security " wire from the ignition switch to the BCM after determining what the value is from the ignition switch and selecting that same value in the module.
Old August 6th, 2007, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry, In the VATS system, that there is a resistor present during the start cycle.
However, in the PASSLOCK system, the resistor has been placed inside the ignition switch,
instead of the key.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 4:08 AM
CF Beginner

it sounds like you have a battery problem
Old January 27th, 2009, 12:41 PM
AMG
CF Beginner

Unhappy 2002 Chevy Malibu is trouble

I have a 2002 Chevy Malibu that has been needing repairs left and right. So far I am not happy with all the trouble I have had. My most recent proplem is the flasher/turn signal goes crazy after I use the blinker and sometimes all by itself. I heard there is a recall on this. Does anyone know what I should do?
Also my check engine light came on and the diagnostic engine check says its P0741 Torque Converter Performance CKT or stuck off. What does this mean I should do? The car idols hard in drive and also has trouble turning over alot during starting.
Any advice is welcome. Thanks,
Old January 27th, 2009, 12:43 PM
AMG
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by golfer
cmp6 ... your post is a little confused.

The VATS and PassLock II are two completelydifferent systems.

On most of the vehicles from at least 1996 to at least 2004 GM used the PassLock II security system . This system is not key specific meaning there is no chip inside the key.

The reason it's a dealer recommended repair is the ignition switch has a specific resistance value and the BCM isconfigured to recognize it. To properly repair the issue the ignition switch may be replaced and the BCM has to be reconfigured to this replacement switch. This has absolutely nothing to do with the key itself.

The bypass module for a remote start system is simply a box that has a multiple of resistance values available to be selected for a particular vehicle. This module is spliced into the " security " wire from the ignition switch to the BCM after determining what the value is from the ignition switch and selecting that same value in the module.
I have had the same problem with the 2002 Malibu and I just followed the owner's manual without complications. Good Luck!
Old June 6th, 2009, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

<TABLE cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD noWrap itxtvisited="1">cmp6 <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_onlinestatus --> <!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_onlinestatus --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_36420", true); </SCRIPT>
</TD><TD width="100%" itxtvisited="1"> is right on the money.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
However, you can bypass the theft-lock yourselves by soddering a resister with the same ohms to the ignition wires.
Old June 11th, 2009, 2:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2002 Chevy Malibu crank no start

My mother-in-law has one of these POS cars. Hers has done the crank no start thing for a couple of years now. I have had the entire ignition switch (there are 2 parts) replaced with OEM GM parts. Not fixed. We had the ECM replaced. No deal. I had the dealer replace the BCM and reprogram with the latest information. That worked until the very next time we tried to start the car. I think we've spent nearly $1000 on this problem already. If anyone knows of a recall on this please email me: bsgfan1@gmail.com

Thank you!
De
Old June 12th, 2009, 9:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bigchief45
WELL IT COULD BE ONE OF 2 THINGS CRANK SHAFT PISITION SENSOR (CPS) OR BACK FUEL PUMP ONE TO TELL IF UR PISITION SENSOR IS BAD TAKE OFF THE END OF THE INTAKE TUBE GOING TO THE AIR BOX AND SMELL IT. IF YOU SMELL GAS WELL THEN BAD CPS AND IF THE CPS IS GOING OUT WHEN YOU MAKE SHARP TURNS OR SUDDEN STOP DOES IS TURN OFF IF THAT HAPPENS THEN U HAVE A BAD OR LOOSE CONNECTED CPS ALSO. BUT IF YOU DONT SMELL GAS IN THE INTAKE TUBE HAVE SOME ONE SIT BY THE BACK OF THE CAR AND TURN THE KEY ON THE ON PISITION AND THE PERSON NEAR THE BACK SHOULD HEAR A WINE OR A HISS THAT MEANS THE FUEL PUMP IS PUMPING GAS TO THE MOTOR... BUT I DONT KNO WHAT ELSE TO TELL YOU IF U HAVE NE OTHER QUESTION LET ME KNO

BIG CHIEF
Big Chief is by far closer than all of you. It sounds like you have a typical failed CPS. The CPS is used to determine the firing order. Bad CPS, car cannot fire correctly.

As stated, also check to make sure the fuel pump is functioning properly. If you turn the car to start, but do not actually turn it over, you will hear a buzz which is the FP priming the car for ignition.

Originally Posted by cmp6
Ok, here's what's happening.

The 10 minute time frame is the indicator that points
to a passlock problem. 10 minutes is the magic number
that says the passlock has been put into long tamper mode,
the vehicle thinks someone is trying to start the car with
the incorrect key...
wtf are you talking about? Try not to assume everyone's car is similar to your situation. Same with your own car. You might miss the one clue that would help you fix it, or you might miss the correct information.

Originally Posted by treknut1
My mother-in-law has one of these POS cars.
Perhaps you should take it to someone who knows what they're talking about instead of spending money in unnecessary places. From your tone, it sounds like you own a foreign car. These cars are not junk. If you neglect to take care of any car they are going to give you problems. Toyota, Honda, Chrysler... I don't care. Any car can be good, and any car can be junk. I prefer that you don't insult a brand that you know nothing about. When you do insult the brand or car; you are insulting the person who owns it. I don't like to be insulted and neither does anyone else. It's unfortunate that your mother-in-law's car is a POS. Perhaps she should take care of it. When one sensor fails, the car does not become a POS. When you are constantly fixing it, the car is a POS. I can guarantee you, if you take car of a Malibu, that car will do nothing but serve you well for a very very very long time. I will dispute that with anyone.

Educate yourself in auto mechanics before drawing a reliability conclusion about a particular vehicle or any vehicles for that matter... I stand by GM because I have owned multiple vehicles that have done nothing but be continuously reliable and excellent cars. I'm sure the Blazer people or Impala people would get upset if you said the same about their cars.
Old June 13th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Impala Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bigchief45
WELL IT COULD BE ONE OF 2 THINGS CRANK SHAFT PISITION SENSOR (CPS) OR BACK FUEL PUMP ONE TO TELL IF UR PISITION SENSOR IS BAD TAKE OFF THE END OF THE INTAKE TUBE GOING TO THE AIR BOX AND SMELL IT. IF YOU SMELL GAS WELL THEN BAD CPS AND IF THE CPS IS GOING OUT WHEN YOU MAKE SHARP TURNS OR SUDDEN STOP DOES IS TURN OFF IF THAT HAPPENS THEN U HAVE A BAD OR LOOSE CONNECTED CPS ALSO. BUT IF YOU DONT SMELL GAS IN THE INTAKE TUBE HAVE SOME ONE SIT BY THE BACK OF THE CAR AND TURN THE KEY ON THE ON PISITION AND THE PERSON NEAR THE BACK SHOULD HEAR A WINE OR A HISS THAT MEANS THE FUEL PUMP IS PUMPING GAS TO THE MOTOR... BUT I DONT KNO WHAT ELSE TO TELL YOU IF U HAVE NE OTHER QUESTION LET ME KNO

BIG CHIEF
Do all of us a favor, dont type in all caps. Like your screaming.
Old June 14th, 2009, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

Perhaps you should take it to someone who knows what they're talking about instead of spending money in unnecessary places. From your tone, it sounds like you own a foreign car. These cars are not junk. If you neglect to take care of any car they are going to give you problems. Toyota, Honda, Chrysler... I don't care. Any car can be good, and any car can be junk. I prefer that you don't insult a brand that you know nothing about. When you do insult the brand or car; you are insulting the person who owns it. I don't like to be insulted and neither does anyone else. It's unfortunate that your mother-in-law's car is a POS. Perhaps she should take care of it. When one sensor fails, the car does not become a POS. When you are constantly fixing it, the car is a POS. I can guarantee you, if you take car of a Malibu, that car will do nothing but serve you well for a very very very long time. I will dispute that with anyone.

This car was purchased from a Chevy dealer and has had all of the scheduled maintenance done only at the same dealer. Different GM dealers have serviced this car for the no start condition (Buick replaced the ignition and ECM, Saturn replaced BCM). My family have been career GM employees and we have always been loyal to the brand. However, the last 3 GM cars (2 Chevrolets and a GMC) have been money pits. One was even involved in a class-action lawsuit against GM over defective hardware provided to repair rear brakes. I have inquired at a separate Chevrolet dealer about this problem and the only response I could get is "we'll plug it into the Tech-2 and read the codes but if the check-engine light isn't coming on there probably isn't going to be anything to read". Hence the attitude from the dealer that they aren't getting the support they need from the manufacturer to properly service this problem. So, I will not argue with anyone on the good/bad of any car. I have had very good GM cars and very bad ones. I have had very bad Fords (but no good ones because I only had the 2 that were bad) and no experience with other brands. But, I will not fault GM for making all bad cars. I will simply research the model and year of those that interest me and made an educated decision.

Quick Reply: 2002 Malibu will not start