Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2002 Malibu will not start

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2009, 6:56 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by treknut1
This car was purchased from a Chevy dealer and has had all of the scheduled maintenance done only at the same dealer. Different GM dealers have serviced this car for the no start condition (Buick replaced the ignition and ECM, Saturn replaced BCM). My family have been career GM employees and we have always been loyal to the brand. However, the last 3 GM cars (2 Chevrolets and a GMC) have been money pits. One was even involved in a class-action lawsuit against GM over defective hardware provided to repair rear brakes. I have inquired at a separate Chevrolet dealer about this problem and the only response I could get is "we'll plug it into the Tech-2 and read the codes but if the check-engine light isn't coming on there probably isn't going to be anything to read". Hence the attitude from the dealer that they aren't getting the support they need from the manufacturer to properly service this problem. So, I will not argue with anyone on the good/bad of any car. I have had very good GM cars and very bad ones. I have had very bad Fords (but no good ones because I only had the 2 that were bad) and no experience with other brands. But, I will not fault GM for making all bad cars. I will simply research the model and year of those that interest me and made an educated decision.
I cannot give you crap about taking your car to a bad dealer. Most people simply don't have other reasonable options. It's unfortunate some dealers are the way they are.
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OnDaGround
Big Chief is by far closer than all of you. It sounds like you have a typical failed CPS. The CPS is used to determine the firing order. Bad CPS, car cannot fire correctly.
Sorry to bring this post back but it didnt seem that old
I have a Malibu with a similar problem.. but the problem is intermittent. Starts fine then once in a while will take a bit to start.. then wont start at all. Code earlier said it was a bad catalytic converter. It does seem to have a slight miss periodically, and every once in a while it wants to chug goin up a hill..
Does this sound like a CPS still? I guess it's a cheaper start.. But how hard is this to do?
Old July 31st, 2009, 2:59 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SamZman
Sorry to bring this post back but it didnt seem that old
I have a Malibu with a similar problem.. but the problem is intermittent. Starts fine then once in a while will take a bit to start.. then wont start at all. Code earlier said it was a bad catalytic converter. It does seem to have a slight miss periodically, and every once in a while it wants to chug goin up a hill..
Does this sound like a CPS still? I guess it's a cheaper start.. But how hard is this to do?
..oh and in addition.. which cps is it? I noticed there are 2...
Thanks for any help.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:32 AM
CF Beginner

I'm talking to myself here.. but it was not the CPS. Well atleast not the one behind the crankshaft pulley. I'll be checking and trying something else tonight. fun.

Last edited by SamZman; August 3rd, 2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

I'll comment again in case anyone else searches for this.. Apparently it WAS the crank position sensor. I put new spark plug wires on while I was working and apparently when pulling them out one of the wires plugging into the ignition modules came out.. So when I went to check all those wires I noticed this, plugged it in and all is good
Old August 4th, 2009, 5:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2002 Malibu will not start!

Originally Posted by SamZman
I'll comment again in case anyone else searches for this.. Apparently it WAS the crank position sensor. I put new spark plug wires on while I was working and apparently when pulling them out one of the wires plugging into the ignition modules came out.. So when I went to check all those wires I noticed this, plugged it in and all is good
OK, did you ever try the 10 minute thing? That starts our car ever time. The fuel filter, fuel pump relay, battery, and Ignition switch have been replaced. Also, NO CODES!!!!! Shouldn't the CPS throw codes?

Also, we did the yellow wire mod to disable the passlock system, thought that fixed it, but again, it won't start w/o the 10 min wait. (intermittent)

Any ideas?
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

I'm pretty new to the Malibu.. But my problem wasnt the security system. From reading other posts the fuel pump wont come on when it's the security thing and I could hear my fuel pump and had fuel pressure, just no spark. And I'd waited more than 10 minutes several times and it was the same thing.. Sorry I dont have much help for you about passlock problems.
Old August 5th, 2009, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default Try bypassing the Pass-Lock System.

Send me an email at sketch222@yahoo.com, and I can send you the by-pass information.

Originally Posted by Lee308
OK, did you ever try the 10 minute thing? That starts our car ever time. The fuel filter, fuel pump relay, battery, and Ignition switch have been replaced. Also, NO CODES!!!!! Shouldn't the CPS throw codes?

Also, we did the yellow wire mod to disable the passlock system, thought that fixed it, but again, it won't start w/o the 10 min wait. (intermittent)

Any ideas?
Old August 15th, 2009, 6:56 PM
CF Beginner

Same problems with no start - new battery, starter, sensors, fuel pump tries, BUT...
The dashboard gauges do not move when trying to start. Have fuel, the engine is warm (Arizona, by the way.) The supposedly disabled security system has been honking the horn after shut-off every now and then, and locking doors at times. HELP!
Old September 27th, 2009, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

Default Puzzled

I am having a similar problem to everyone else whose car won't start, but I'm not sure it is exactly the same. I have a 1997 Malibu with a 3.1 liter. One day the key would not come out of the ingnition. We tried and tried, but couldn't get it out; so we drove it for a few miles and came back home and just turned the car off and the key came out. The next day we tried to start it and it wouldn't start. The starter sounded like it turned the engine over maybe once or twice and then disengaged. It would spin until you let go of the key, but wasn't turning the engine over. If we kept doing that, it would start the car on about the 30th attempt. The car usually starts within a couple of seconds, so it doesn't have to turn over too many times. We thought it was the starter, but we got it tested and they said it was fine. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: 2002 Malibu will not start