Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2003 Chevy Malibu heat air flow (lack of)

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2011, 10:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Chevy Malibu heat air flow (lack of)

My 03 Malibu has good heat, just poor air flow from the vents.
Any tips on repairs or what to look for are appreciated!
Also, does this year Malibu have a cabin air filter? If so, where would it be?

Thanks!
Old December 17th, 2011, 1:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. So, you get "good heat" which means the air temperature actuator and blend door is working. It sounds like your problem is the air deliver mode control which is vacuum-actuated. Either a vacuum actuator is faulty, linkage is broken or binding, or air door is stuck. I'm not sure on the cabin air filter.
Old December 18th, 2011, 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EinST
Welcome to the forum. So, you get "good heat" which means the air temperature actuator and blend door is working. It sounds like your problem is the air deliver mode control which is vacuum-actuated. Either a vacuum actuator is faulty, linkage is broken or binding, or air door is stuck. I'm not sure on the cabin air filter.
I can "hear" the air flow, it sounds as though it getting lost under the dash. Almost as if the ducts were disconnected. My control panel works like it's supposed to. Makes me think the air door might be the culprit. How big of a P.I.T.A. is that to get to?

Thanks for the response!
Old December 18th, 2011, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It obviously depends on what's broken but you may have to take the dash apart. Since it involves vacuum lines and vacuum actuators, it's not that easy to troubleshoot. If you were to tackle it, I'd suggest getting a hold of a factory service manual set (not the pirated PDF printouts on DVDs) from eBay or something. I've had a set for practically each of my past vehicles.
Old January 18th, 2012, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

Did you find a solution to your problem? I am having a similar issue but with both hot and cold. I can hear the fan blowing but there is hardly any air coming out of the upper vents. However, I can feel a strong flow coming out of the lower vents. No matter where I put my position selector (top, top/bottom, bottom, etc), there is no difference. It seems that the door or switch that changes the flow of air from top to bottom is stuck.

Just wondering if you fixed it?