Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2003 Malibu Rebuilding the A/C system

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2016, 8:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Malibu Rebuilding the A/C system

Since I've owned this car for 4 years, the a/c condensor has been missing and the line ends have been exposed. The previous owner hit a dear and the dear cracked the condensor and bent the radiator core. I would like to pick up a condensor from the junk yard and get the a/c system working.

I may have access to a guage manifold and a vacuum for clearing out the lines. What I would like to know is, what should I expect to find broken once I charge the system? Will the dryer, compressor or the expansion valve need replacing since it has sat static/ running dry for 4 years? Do I need to go right out and replace all the o-rings? I'll update this forum as I repair it.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the most technically correct way is to replace the accumulator as the desiccant will be saturated. Moisture in the system mixed with refrigerant creates an acid that corrodes the system.

does it use an expansion valve or orfice tube? accumulator or receiver drier?

If it was mine and i was doing it will junkyard parts...i would just replace the condenser, put a vacuum on the system for 30 minutes, add 2 oz of oil and charge the system.

Years ago, I did what you are trying to do. I just installed the lines i needed. Vacuumed, added 2 oz of pag oil and charged the system. It ran fine and needed nothing else.