Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Classic Dies

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2013, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Classic Dies

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Classic that I have had starting problems after driving it for about 30 minutes. It has also started dying and doesn't re-start until after 30-45 minutes. This has been happening since July 2012. I have had the following replaced: Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, Fuel Module, Fuel Fuse, Ignition Module, Ignition coil and boots, Ignition Fuse, Ignition, crank wire, 02 Sensor. It throws no codes. The following has been checked by 3 mechanics (1 was a chev dealer): Battery Crank Sensor, Ignition Sensor, entire electrical system to include lights, doors, windows. I have had to be towed 8 times since July and no one can find the answer. Anywhere I go, I can't drive longer than 45 minutes and the engine will die. If I go run errands, it has to close to home because once the car gets warm, if I turn it off, it won't start for 30-45 minutes when it cools down. It has 92,000 miles. Anyone have any idea what it could be?
Old February 2nd, 2013, 1:52 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

First of all, new dosen't mean good. I'd look at the fuel pressure. I've had crank position sensor fail, no start and no code.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 2:57 PM
CF Beginner

No, new doesn't mean good. I can agree with that! Crank sensor is good. The 4th mechanic is now checking to see if the computer chip is hot when the car is turned off. Supposedly there won't be a code if it is just over heating. I am so tired of the cha-ching cha-ching of the cash register! Fuel pressure test (about the 6th one it has had) came out fine.
Old February 19th, 2013, 8:27 PM
zaz
CF Beginner

you don't mention what engine and options your malibu has. I am having similar issues on an 04 with the v6. Warm restart issues like you have but also cold restart issues. The cold restart is very predictable, below -25 degrees plan on a 2 hour visit because it will not restart for 2 hours, the car must cool right down before it will restart. same thing when outside temperatures are high, the vehicle must cool down before restart. I picked up a used body control module and will get it installed. will report success if it occurs, but still hope to hear from anyone with a successful fix.