Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2004 Key FOB

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2006, 4:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Key FOB

I have a 2004 Chev. Malibu Maxx and I got a new FOB and cannot program it. I have tried the two suggestons that I found posted on the forum, but with no luck. Does anyone know how to program a new FOB for the above mentioned car?

Thanks,
Scott
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:07 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2004 Key FOB

You need to take it to the dealer so the can program it with the tech 2
Old November 4th, 2006, 9:02 AM
CF Beginner

Try this first. It worked on mine.

Close all the vehicle doors.
Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
Press and hold the DOOR unlock switch.
While holding the DOOR lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
Release the DOOR unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one keyless remote. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds , the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.
Turn the ignition switch to the RUN (one more click forward) position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.
Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation
Old November 14th, 2006, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

Hey Rodeo,

We just lost a key fob and I think I will have to pickup another one. I saw them at an online Chevy dealer for 67 with the remote start. Thanks for the detailed steps to program. We have an 04 Malibu Maxx also. I had read in another forum that if you have an OBD II diag tool you can put the car into program mode through that too. I have not picked up one of those tools yet but they are getting cheaper all the time.

Thank you!
Stephen
Old December 26th, 2016, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rodeo
Try this first. It worked on mine.

Close all the vehicle doors.
Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
Press and hold the DOOR unlock switch.
While holding the DOOR lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
Release the DOOR unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one keyless remote. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds , the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.
Turn the ignition switch to the RUN (one more click forward) position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.
Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation
Sorry - I have a 2004 MAXX. All this did for me was lock and unlock the doors. Never went in to any kind of 'programming' mode. The general consensus I've seen online is it must be done at a dealer or locksmith who has the correct programming device.

Last edited by adamsjp; December 26th, 2016 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Used wrong word = must not most