Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2004 Malibu battery light

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2014, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Malibu battery light

I have a 2004 Malibu LT (3.5).
It has 130k miles on it. I recently got the spark plugs and wires replaced presumably for the first time(not original owner).
After I got the car back from the mechanic, I noticed the battery light started coming on when I accelerate fast, particularly uphill. Last night I noticed while the battery light is on, the power steering becomes temporarily disabled and the lights dimmed once. The mechanic load tested the electrical system while I revved the car to 4k rpms and no battery light at all.
Any suggestions? I know the power steering assembly had issues and is under recall, I haven't had it replaced yet but I will this next week. Could that be causing this? Any help is appreciated.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 4:40 AM
CF Beginner

Check the wires going from the battery for corrosion inside the red plastic that is molded around them. I just disconnected the positive wire and flexed the wires and the corroded material just worked its way out. I haven't had the battery light come on since. Another sympton that I experienced was the anti-lock brake warning light would come on also. That was with a 2000 Malibu LS.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 9:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default Re: Malibu Battery Light

I have a situation similar to yours. My 06 Malibu Maxx LT,with about 60 K miles, during hard acceleration, will display the battery light and the power steering will momentarily cut out. It happens very quickly and disappears just as quickly as I back off the gas. I was able to graph system voltage with a scan tool during the event where the voltage spikes to 16 from approximately 13.7, never dropping below this.
Also, spark plugs and wires were changed coincidently.
The L terminal wire passes close by the coil pack.
I wonder if it's possible that some type of interference from the new plug wires or the coil pack is influencing the signal between the ECM and the alternator/regulator?

I have cleaned and secured as many grounds as I could access so far and the battery terminals.
The alternator has also been replaced with OE new unit. Problem persists but occurs less frequently.