Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2004 Malibu(new body style) bolt pattern problem

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2014, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Malibu(new body style) bolt pattern problem

Hi all,

I bought 2004 Malibu from Salvage Auction. Car was hit from behind and it needed fixing. After I fixed it it passed body inspection and then I took him to Mechanical inspection.

It failed because "Wheels are wrong bolt pattern for the vehicle, studs not centered in holes". So now I have 30 days to install new wheels.

2004 Malibu(new body style) is supposed to have 5x110mm bolt pattern, I found that out after checking all the references and manuals online. I went to the car scrapyard and got new wheels from other Malibu which had above mentioned bolt pattern.

I come to my garage and wheels don't fit again. I measure bolt pattern on my Malibu and it's 5x112mm. I go back to scrapyard and measure maybe 10 Malibu's same like mine and they are all 5x110mm.

After trying to find 5x112mm rims, I found out that only VW, Audi and Mercedes use 5x112mm.

How did that end up on my Malibu?
My only idea is that someone in the past installed wrong wheel hubs on my car. Brake disks are matching 5x112mm pattern also, so if I decide to change all wheel hubs then I have to change all brake disks also and they are almost new.Which is too big of investment.

So only option is to find 5x112mm rims, which I'm having hard time finding.

Did anyone encounter this situation before? Am I wrong regarding this?

Thanks, Mike