Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2005 Malibu breaks loose during slight turns/lane shift

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2014, 8:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Malibu breaks loose during slight turns/lane shift

I have a 2005 Malibu that breaks loose (jumps out of turn) when I turn slightly left or right to follow curve of road, and sometimes during lane change on interstate. I replaced front lower control arms w/ball joints, brakes, had new tires put on, had it aligned, but nothing fixed. Also at about same time break loose problem occured, a moaning and creaking noise came about when going over bumps, sidewalk/road transition at low speed, but noise was equalized when I sprayed silicone lube on top and bottom of shocks/coils.

It almost feels like the car is balanced on a ball, but then slides sharply off to one side midway through slight turn.

I know lots of variables: bushings, tie rods, etc, but was wondering if ya'll had any advice.
Thanks in Advance!
-Jarrett
Old May 11th, 2014, 2:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did some research, looks like its a poorly engineered intermediate steering column...New one will arrive in a couple of days. Going to drive my truck until I install new part. I have driven lots of junk, but the problem the Malibu has makes the junk seem like European luxury, especially with a commute on an interstate