Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2005 Malibu: A/C, Windows, cruse control. headlights working intermittently

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2011, 10:55 AM
DCS
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 Malibu: A/C, Windows, cruse control. headlights working intermittently

Hi-I have a 2005 Malibu Classic that I play russian roulette every time I start up my car. I suspect it is the ignition switch contacts. Who had the bright idea of putting the windows and A/C on the same circuit anyway? Can't put the windows down when A/C stops working. As listed in title several things are all on the same circuit when one stops working they all stop. Sometimes everything works fine. Sometimes the car chimes six times then starts working. You might be driving down the road and it shuts off for a few minutes. Sometimes it won't work at first for a few miles then starts up. Sometimes the SES light comes on and everything stops, the SES can come on and the everything stays on. You might drive all day everything is fine, next day won't work at all. The car has 100,000 on it. I need the wiring diagram for this car and hav'ent found it online yet. I am looking for anyone that might have had this problem, that has done some troubleshooting and found some answers. Could you give me some ideas? Thanks Daniel
Old March 4th, 2011, 5:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The subject line is a little misleading since the "2005 Malibu Classic" is a totally different animal than the "2005 Malibu," i.e., it's basically the 2003 Malibu chassis with the Ecotec 2.2L. It so happens that I once looked at a similar problem on the 2003 Malibu and kept the notes. On this generation (Classic included) the ignition switch in RUN switches in the battery voltage from the 40A Ignition Switch fuse in the engine compartment fuse block to various circuits you mentioned:

In the passenger side instrument panel fuse block:

Climate Control System fuse -- for HVAC blower at intermediate speeds
Cruise Control fuse -- also Cruise Control Switches fuse
Power Windows circuit breaker

In the engine compartment fuse block:

Climate Control System fuse -- for HVAC control assembly
Canister Purge Valve, PCM, Exhaust Gas Recirculation, Heated Oxygen Sensor fuse -- also DRL relay coil and Rear Defogger relay coil

The last fuse is emission-related and thus will light the malfunction indicator.

You can check the voltage levels at the above junctions while jiggling the key with the key ON, engine OFF. Look for unstable or low readings (compared to the 40A Ignition Switch fuse) in which case the culprit will most likely be the ignition switch.
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:54 PM
DCS
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks EinST

I will check voltage as you suggested. Daniel