Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2005 Malibu- electrical problem again?

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2012, 8:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Malibu- electrical problem again?

My Malibu Classic is a 2.2 Ltr. automatic with 140K miles. It has symptoms similar to what others have posted. The car engine starts and the windows, radio, a/c, fuel guage, etc. are not working. The check engine light is on. Sometimes the cruise goes out while driving interstate and the warning bell will chime. Then the cruise starts working on its own. I've already replaced the ignition switch twice in the 6 years I've owned this car. The last replacement was 3-4 years ago. This is what temporarily cured this problem previously. It's about $300-350 to get it fixed again. Is this something that can qualify for the lemon clause? Can GM be convinced to fix their problem here?
Old July 10th, 2012, 8:30 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Sounds like body control module, but you need to post the codes.
Old July 11th, 2012, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

Default post codes?

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Sounds like body control module, but you need to post the codes.
I'm not a mechanic and I don't have diagnostic equipment.

Last edited by Kansas55; July 11th, 2012 at 8:34 AM.
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas55
My Malibu Classic is a 2.2 Ltr. automatic with 140K miles. It has symptoms similar to what others have posted. The car engine starts and the windows, radio, a/c, fuel guage, etc. are not working. The check engine light is on. Sometimes the cruise goes out while driving interstate and the warning bell will chime. Then the cruise starts working on its own. I've already replaced the ignition switch twice in the 6 years I've owned this car. The last replacement was 3-4 years ago. This is what temporarily cured this problem previously. It's about $300-350 to get it fixed again. Is this something that can qualify for the lemon clause? Can GM be convinced to fix their problem here?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I'm sorry you are experiencing these issues with your Malibu vehicle. Have you had the vehicle inspected recently? Would you please provide the last 8-digits of your VIN, so I may look into this further?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old July 12th, 2012, 7:57 AM
CF Beginner

Default Vin

the last 8 digits are 5M252088.
Old July 14th, 2012, 8:07 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas55
the last 8 digits are 5M252088.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Thank you for providing the last 8-digits of your VIN. I have researched your vehicle, and there are currently no known issues, based on your description, for 2005 Malibu vehicles. There are also no open recalls on the vehicle.

"kevinkpk" offers a possibility. It may also be an electrical issue (loss of connection, corrosion, etc.). These are just suggestions, they are not meant as a diagnosis. I encourage you to consult with a certified technician for an official diagnosis. They will be able to assist you further after inspecting the vehicle.

Please keep us posted.

If you have any additional questions and/or concerns, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old July 16th, 2012, 10:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Default This has been a problem for a while

GM has had problems with these cars for a while. Since 98-99 or so there has been problems with the computer systems. This is nothing new for '05. I owned a '99 Olds Alero had all the same problems you have described. I changed the ignition cyl. the BCM, even did a bypass on the system which worked the longest, about 6 months then it started the same simptoms again. I don't understand why(other than it would cost a bundle to change things) they didn't fix this problem sooner. If you look at any of the GM cars in that line they all have this problem to some degree. The Alero, Grand Am, and Malibu that I have read about on various forums. I've learned to just steer clear of these cars. I really don't think there is a fix and I had a few repair shops that didn't even want to deal with my Alero. I got lucky though the dealer I bought the Alero from actually bought it back from me for what I paid and what I put into it. Pretty sad for a car that only had 30,000 on the odometer.
Old July 17th, 2012, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default Back to the dealer

Took the car to the local dealer this a.m. to have it looked at. It's now evening and I've heard nothing from them yet.
Old July 29th, 2012, 10:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default The fix needs a fix

Bentley Chevrolet in Florence, AL finally checked my car and determined that it needed a new battery. After the replacement, they said it tested OK and that it was good to go. I paid them $229 for the tests and the battery. When I drove the car home, the same problems occurred- the ac, radio, windows, cruise, all quit briefly and then came back on after about a minute. The check engine light came on and stayed on. We immediately took the car back to Bentley. They tested again and found nothing wrong. Bentley said there were no codes and the car was ready to go. We drove the car on a long trip and the same problem happened 4-5 times. The duration of the outage wasn't long and the car got us to the destination.

I have no confidence in Bentley Chevrolet's ability to fix the problem.

Last edited by Kansas55; July 29th, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old July 30th, 2012, 7:29 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Sounds like body control module, keep taking it back.