Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2005 Malibu HELP - !!!

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2012, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2005 Malibu HELP - !!!

I've searched too long on the internet, subscribed to ALLDATA and got nothing. Here's my problem.
I have the horn going off at any time problem on my 2005 Malibu. At first one of the two horns was bad, caused a fuse to blow and I replaced both horns since years had passed and they were only $35 for both horns. Three days later at 4 am the horns went off on there own. A rushed out and took out the fuse. A day later re-installed the fuse and the next day whiel I was in the garage next the car, the horn went off. I'm not paying $800 for a new airbag to fix the problem. I want to put a different horn switch, and take the current one out the picture. I'll mount it to the plastic shroud right on the top of the steering column just below the odometer.
The problem, which wire is the horn? I have the shroud off. There are 5 wires going into a black plastic rind just below the steering wheel. I have not taken off the airbag. I read that it can be dangerous, so that is my last resort. There are 6 wires in this black ring -
green
white
pink
blue
gray
gray w/blk stripe

I'm pretty sure the green and white are for the airbag. They go off on their own and I see the same wires in the same white tubing just above the fuse panel on the drivers side. The other wires are bundeled together in a different tubing.

I've found the pink and gray wires are part of the cruise control. I have cruise control buttons on the steering wheel, no radio controls. I seems that the blue wire is the horn. Taking out the horn relay I can see that the relay coil is brought to ground for the horn to sound. I've tried to determine which wire gets grounded when the horn is pushed - found nothing. I'm guessing the horn goes to the BCM before it goes to the relay. Of the two wiring diagrams that I have been able to find on the web, say the horn is a black wire, and it goes stright to the relay. Both of which I find is not the case. Either way I have no info on the 6 wires.

So what I am in need of is -
what each of the 6 wires is for -
which one is the horn -
where the horn wire goes - to relay or BCM
AND if I wire up an external horn switch can I just take the horn wire from the 6 wire group, cut it, and run it to the external switch and tie the other side of the switch to ground?

I don't understand that I found out on the web that this is a big problem, and that the repair is so expensive, yet there is no info on hooking up the external switch. That was my first course of action to make the horn work, and work right.

A big THANKS for any input on this and any help on the wiring info!!!!
Old November 14th, 2012, 6:24 AM
CF Beginner

My 2005 Malibu started doing this a couple of days ago (horn going off whereever) and the blinker will make the turn signal noise but they are not on.

Sorry I can't answer any of your questions, I haven't had the time to look at. I am going out of town tomorrow and won't be able to mess with this for a couple of weeks.

You mentioned this is a big problem with these cars, do you have any links that could steer me in the right location for the fix?
Old November 14th, 2012, 7:04 AM
CF Beginner

I just found this, maybe the contacts?

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Grand-Am-Turn-Signals
Old November 14th, 2012, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

Hey chazwel,
I found it to be a big problem by searching for horn problems in Malibus using either Google or Bing. Seems the great engineers of Chevy did a great job of putting the horn contacts with the airbag, so it has to be replaced as a unit if the horn contacts go bad, which from what I have found is the problem. I have not pulled the airbag out becuase I've heard it's quite dangerous, and I'd like to live a bit longer with all my pieces intact.
Your link doesn't work, but I read a bunch on the problem, nothing on the fix except to replace the airbag unit - a $800+ repair, unless you go to a junkyard. I rather keep my airbag as it is and just put on a new external horn switch.
The problem, nothing about the wiring, nothing. And my troubleshooting of the wires leaves me scratching my head. ALL I've seen says the horn switch puts a ground on the wire going to the switch. I did NOT find that to be true.
Right now I have the horn working and it hasn't gone off by itself for a week. Not sure how long that will last - until spring when the temps go back up. Here it's in the 30's right now.
Old November 14th, 2012, 2:54 PM
CF Beginner

Can you take a fuse or reply out to stop the problem and just put it back for the yearly inspection? just a thought, probably not that simple or easy.

Another problem with this car is my rack and pinion steering mounting bolt keeps backing off causing a popping noise, the car has to on a rack to get to it. I have had it tighten twice, both times with red lockite. Just waiting for it to happen again.

Its is a nice car, just has some issues.
Old November 15th, 2012, 7:23 AM
CF Beginner

I don't have to go for yearly inspections - !!
But the first time it happened at 4 am I took out the fuse.
Put it back in a few days later and it was quite.
About 4 dyas after while I was in the garage next to the car it went off again. I removed the fuse again, and reinstalled it the next day.
That was about 10 days ago now and it's been fine.
Just waiting for it to happen again!

You make it sound like you haven't had the malibu for very long.
Other than a thermostat stop working -
cost me $350 to replace it, yea I know it's in a weird spot -
good engineering,
and the fuel pump go out -
this one cost $1100, the pump alone is over $600 plus labor,
you have to take the tank down,
I really like the car to.

Love the location and kind of oil filter it has. I've not had that engine before. I don't have any steering issues at all.
It runs great and I get 30mpg plus most times. I have a 60 mile roundtrip commute, so that helps.