Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2005 Malibu Maxx Issues

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2015, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Malibu Maxx Issues

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, and posting here for help with my sisters vehicle. She recently had the steering column replaced (not by a shop, but by a backyard mechanic), and ever since she did, her airbag light is on, and the steering wheel controls no longer work. I am confident that when they reinstalled the steering column they either forgot to plug the steering wheel connector back in, or they broke it. My question is, where is it located at, so I can check ? The horn doesn't work either, so I know it's a connector issue and not something serious, and i'd like to reconnect it for her but I don't know where the connector is located. I'd assume it would be under the steering column cover, or down under the drive side lower panel somewhere, but I want to be sure before I start tearing it apart.

None of the steering wheel controls work at all, cruise control, radio selector, etc, again leading me to believe it's a connector issue and not something else.
Old March 4th, 2015, 6:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the connection that supplies power to the wheel controls are supplied by the clockspring. it is possible that the clockspring is broken. if not centered when the column was replaced, it will snap.

get the fault codes read and post them to be sure this is the problem.

to replace the clockspring, the air bag and steering wheel must be removed. For airbags, if you have to ask how...you shouldn't be removing them.
Old March 5th, 2015, 11:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty confident in being able to remove the airbag and the steering wheel. I used to work in a factory where we assembled airbags and steering wheels, albeit it was for lexus not chevy but i'm sure they have the same concept.

Is there a way if I remove the airbag cover I can visually inspect the clock spring to see if it's broken, before I tear it all apart? It's a $100 part it seems and i'd hate to buy it and not be able to return it. (Local parts stores dont allow you to return electrical parts after purchase).
Old March 5th, 2015, 6:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

remove the clockspring/sir coil from the steering column and slowly turn it. at some point it will tighten up and not turn anymore 2.5 to 3 turns??? when the ribbon inside is broken it will turn forever. try in both directions.
if its not broken...re-center it for installation.

I suppose it you could ohm check it if it was totally disconnected from everything....I prefer the other method as it won't set off an airbag if a mistake is made.
Old May 27th, 2015, 8:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tech2 is right.

Everything you've describe points to the clock spring. Most likely the guy that did the replacement did not center it and the wire was yanked when the steering wheel was turned.

To get to your clock spring, you'll have to pull the steering wheel from the column (you'll need a steering wheel puller). Disconnect the battery and let it discharge for awhile before working on the steering column. Even if you think they didn't plug in the harness, once you reconnect it, everything is live and you don't want power to the airbag at that moment.

To save money on a clock spring, go to a pull-a-part place. You can probably pick one up for $7. (it's what I did when I had to replace one in my Dodge Dakota). Look for your model, or comparable model (Pontiac G6). Yank the steering wheel off (if someone hasn't already) and disconnect the clock spring.

Recenter it before putting it on your sister's car and you should be good to go.

Recentering a clock spring is pretty simple. Just go slowly in one direction until you feel resistance. Then go slowly in the opposite direction until you feel resistance while counting the revolutions. Go back in the opposite direction by half the revolution count. Put some electrical tape on it to secure the position until you install it.

Last edited by WolfRayet; May 27th, 2015 at 8:53 AM.