Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:19 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

2005 Malibu Maxx Rear Brake replacement

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2007, 2:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Malibu Maxx Rear Brake replacement

Looking for advice. I'm trying to replace the rear disk brakes pads on a 2005 Malibu Maxx (6 Cyl.). Calipers are the "twist" type and I am able to compress the caliper all the way in using the "cube tool" on a 3/8" ratchet. The problem is that I can't get enough clearance on the outer pad to re-install the caliper.

Here's the procedure I'm following:

Removal:
- the obvious: jack rear wheel, block it, remove tire, etc
- remove to lower 14mm bolt from holding the caliper
- loosen the top 14mm bolt holding the caliper
- Observation: the top mount is rigid and does not move in/out as opposed to the bottom caliper mount which moves in/out to allow for brake pad wear
- rotate the caliper upwards all the way ensuring that you don't kink the brake hose and/or parking brake cable (at rear of caliper)
- using cube tool, twist in piston clockwise all the way in.
- remove pads and clips

Re-installation:
- install clips
- install pads; with the wear gauge on the interior
- attempt to lower the caliper (which is still bolted to the upper mount).

At this point, there is sufficient clearance at the inner pad (caliper piston), however there is missing ~ 1/8"n the outer side. The caliper will not go into place.

The pads I purchased are Monroe from Canadian Tire. I called to double check that I have the correct set.

So ... I'm wondering if
1) the pads are non-compatible or incorrect or
2) the rigid mount (see observation) is somehow seazed and not allowing the caliper to move

Any advice is much appreciated
Old July 13th, 2007, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2005 Malibu Maxx Rear Brake replacement

Uploading a couple of pics.

[ul][*]In the 1st pic, the "1" identifies the rigid mount.[*]In the 2nd pic, the "1" is the same mount whereas the "2" illustrates the "lack of clearance" requiered for the new "outer" brake pad. Also in this pic, it can be seen that the caliper is all the way in and allows enough clearance for the "inner" brake pad.[/ul]
If you have any hints, please send them

Thanks ... s_k_b

[IMG]local://upfiles/10153/CAABA5260EE14A76A528A20FC9F822FB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10153/C86C654E625B49FB829308ECD5889E65.jpg[/IMG]
Old August 26th, 2007, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

You should always resurface the rotor or replace them when replacing pads.

Mike
Old December 27th, 2007, 12:31 PM
CF Beginner

Did you ever figure out how to do the rear brake change? I am stumped, too!! Piston will not compress . . . . HELP!!
Old December 28th, 2007, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

mbruffey,

No luck yet. I suspect the pads I am using are not compatible.

Note: the calipers do compress but require a "twist motion" as opposed to in-out. You cannot simply use a c-clamp to push them in. You either need a "cube tool" or a good pair of pliers to twist in the caliper (see note above (using cube tool, twist in piston clockwise all the way in).

Hope this helps
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:01 AM
CF Beginner

s_k_b,

thanks for starting this thread. Thanks to your notes and pics I was able to figure out what to do with the rear calipers. Before reading your post I was kind of wondering how come C-clamp has no effect

Anyhow, I was able to put new brake pads on.My pads are notfrom Canadian Tire though.I bought them from TireRack, and the brand is Akebono. I think they might be the actual OEM (or very close to) without the outrageous cost. At least some website claimed that OEM on Malibu Maxx are Akebonos.

The thickness of the rear padsis 14.8mm (0.583") for the interior one, and 14.64mm (0.572") for the exterior pad. They are probably just the same thickness but I show the actual measurements.

Did you make sure that the position of the piston allows for the pin on the internal brake pad to fit in the slot. Please take a look at my photos to see what I mean. Only the internal brake pad has a pin. The externalhas aflat on the back of the pad.

By the way, I have no idea what rigid mount you are talking about. Both of my caliper pins move freely, as on every other car I had before.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15485/CF3EA7F771D3456A95A77E5EA73B3E38.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15485/C94FAA004B95456B92B827A7F463C6FA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15485/62F289730F5C49DB8467D1B8D22C1FD9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15485/921DF316620443499D5C92B514042930.jpg[/IMG]
Old June 25th, 2009, 6:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by s_k_b
mbruffey,

No luck yet. I suspect the pads I am using are not compatible.

Note: the calipers do compress but require a "twist motion" as opposed to in-out. You cannot simply use a c-clamp to push them in. You either need a "cube tool" or a good pair of pliers to twist in the caliper (see note above (using cube tool, twist in piston clockwise all the way in).

Hope this helps
Make sure that the slots for the cube tool are at 12 and 6 O'clock so they will fit over the pins on the brake pad. K2
Old May 13th, 2010, 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

Rear disc brake replacement on the Malibu is fairly straight forward if you use the piston retraction tool. One thing that should be mentioned is that the parking brake needs to be re-set after the brakes are installed. It may be partially engaged and cause the rotors to heat up from rubbing the pads. Engage and release the parking brake a number of times to set the parking brake properly after rear discs are installed.
Old October 8th, 2010, 5:06 PM
CF Beginner

i am new here, any way to get the pictures to show up in this thread?
Old October 8th, 2011, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default Easy Fix...

Yeah, so I see what you mean that the Maxx can't use a C-Clamp on the brakes. I found that just a simple narrow-nosed pipe wrench did the job great for me. No special tools needed!

Mark

Quick Reply: 2005 Malibu Maxx Rear Brake replacement