Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Engine stalling all of a sudden.

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2009, 1:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stalling all of a sudden.

i was at a bank drive thru teller, and as i get ready to pull off, the engine just dies. it hadn't done that before. i crank it back up, and i got really low rpm, i was able to go into drive, and take off but only a few feet. the engine has 183k miles on it. its a 1998 chevy malibu 3.1 engine. i started the car again, and then i was able to get across the intersection this time. i stop in another bank parking lot. i tried starting the car again, but this time it wouldn't even turn over. so i look under the hood, and see that the starter ground cable was loose, the nut came off. i replaced it with the old nut from the used starter i still had in my trunk.so after doing that i crank up the car, and i was able to get it home, but barely, the rpm would drop below 1000, but didn't stall, I'd brake and pull over to the side of the road, then the rpm would return to normal, and I'd be able to take off, until it decided to go back down.i got it home. parked it, waited a few minutes then turned the car back on. it cranked fine. as it's idling, the car warms up, then begins to stall and right before it stalls the engine jerks for a few seconds. just so you know, the fuel pump is fine, it has new wires and plugs, and the coil pack works perfectly. i have had problems with the battery staying charged before. what could be the problem? i plan on cleaning the map and maf sensors and iac
Old March 11th, 2009, 8:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My question is, how do you plan on cleaning the Map and Maf without messing them up. The IAC valve has to remain with the pintle pointing down to avoid getting cleaning agents into the vavle and destroying it. I recommend taking the whole throttle body off and cleaning it. At 183K you are way past due. Did you just put a new starter on? Check an make sure your battery cables to the starter, the grounds, and from the starter to the alternator... and obviously alternator to battery. You may need to cut a slit down the covering that way you can see more then just the ends. You need to check for corrosion. If that and the Tb cleaning doesn't work let me know and we can continue from there.