Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Spark Plug Wires

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2009, 6:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug Wires

2000 Malibu V-6 90k. Rear spark plug wire removal is just about impossible. How do you get these off? No room to work between firewall and motor.
Old March 6th, 2009, 7:00 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people remove the coil pack, others disconnect the upper engine mount and rock the motor forward.

You can do the plugs and wires in the back with out doing either. I am not a stick and I can still get my arms back there. You should be fine.

In order to do this, what you *should* get is a proper spark plug socket. I prefer the ones with the ball join socket built on to an extension, this will make it the easiest. Though its not necessary. And another big helper is called a flex head or pivot wrachet. It is exactly as it sounds a wratchet that the head can pivot back and forth. Its a wonderful invention and I recommend them highly for just about anything. You will surely notice the different variety of things you can do with this tool that is impossible to do with out. You can pick one up at Sears or a local store that carries tools. Napa has them too.

They seriously are the best thing you can have in your tool box. It will make any job (well almost any job) easy to do and you will slightly enjoy working on your car as opposed to those days where things are just a hassle and you'd rather burn the car then fix it. lol

Good luck bro. Like I said, you don't need to do any of that. You can get to it, just kind of got to lay on the engine to get your arm back there. Your elbow needs to be where the coil is.
Old March 6th, 2009, 7:12 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply. The main problem is gettin these boots off the plugs. Being in the marine business I have a good tool assortment. I have layed across the motor and muscled all my strength into pulling these plug wires off and they don't budge. I have a boot puller that goes around and hooks behind the boot and managed to get the one closest to the passenger side off. The plug was no problem. The other 2 are a different story.
Old March 6th, 2009, 7:35 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should be alright. I know they are a pain and sometimes they have pretty good suction on the plug. I cannot thing of anything that would hold them in. If the VCG was leaking into the spark plug well, it will not dry up and harden.... I guess all I can say is get some mo' muscle on it. lol. Like I said, if you can get your elbow behind the coil pack, you will have a little more power when you pull it up. I would recommend using the boot puller if you have one. Try wiggling the wire around, helps me sometimes.

Last edited by OnDaGround; March 6th, 2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old March 8th, 2009, 12:27 PM
CF Veteran

Long sleeve shirt...mechanics glove and twist and apply constant pull. They are a royal pain in the ***....but not impossible.