Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2006 Malibu Brake Light Problem

Old May 20th, 2011, 7:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Malibu Brake Light Problem

I have a 2006 Malibu with a strange brake light problem.
The brake lights react in reverse order.

When the brake pedal is NOT pressed, the brake lights are on.

When the brake pedal is pressed, the brake lights turn off.

Any suggestions where to look?

Thanks
Old May 20th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kdcarman
I have a 2006 Malibu with a strange brake light problem.
The brake lights react in reverse order.

When the brake pedal is NOT pressed, the brake lights are on.

When the brake pedal is pressed, the brake lights turn off.

Any suggestions where to look?

Thanks

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your Malibu. It is possible there is a fuse mix up going on. Have you spoken with your dealership about this issue yet?

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 20th, 2011, 5:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum, kdcarman. The 2006 Malibu has a brake pedal position sensor, not an on-off switch but a potentiometer that varies the resistance (or voltage drop across, depending on your view) corresponding to the pedal angle. It's possible that the sensor is broken or no longer mounted correctly. Also, it's susceptible to resistance changes on the circuit (degraded wiring, oxidation on the contacts, etc.). Since there's calibration involved as well, best take it to a service department. There's also a TSB that may possibly apply -- http://cid-54465800aad91b49.office.l...-05-22-009.pdf.

Last edited by EinST; May 20th, 2011 at 5:38 PM. Reason: Added a TSB
Old May 20th, 2011, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EinST
Welcome to the forum, kdcarman. The 2006 Malibu has a brake pedal position sensor, not an on-off switch but a potentiometer that varies the resistance (or voltage drop across, depending on your view) corresponding to the pedal angle. It's possible that the sensor is broken or no longer mounted correctly. Also, it's susceptible to resistance changes on the circuit (degraded wiring, oxidation on the contacts, etc.). Since there's calibration involved as well, best take it to a service department. There's also a TSB that may possibly apply -- http://cid-54465800aad91b49.office.live.com/self.aspxCEF/TSB^_08-05-22-009.pdf.
Thanks for the reply. I did have a mechanic replace the sensor, same problem. For some reason I cannot open the TSB.
Old May 21st, 2011, 12:22 AM
CF Veteran

That "replace the sensor, same problem" part worries me. There's calibration involved with the BPP sensor replacement. It sounds like that mechanic was ill-equipped to do the job properly. As far as the TSB goes, click on the link I posted and then click on the Download link to open or save the PDF file.
Old May 21st, 2011, 7:52 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EinST
That "replace the sensor, same problem" part worries me. There's calibration involved with the BPP sensor replacement. It sounds like that mechanic was ill-equipped to do the job properly. As far as the TSB goes, click on the link I posted and then click on the Download link to open or save the PDF file.
The PDF downloads fine, but I get corrupted file error when I attempt to open. How is the sensor calibrated? Or is this answered in the TSB?
Old May 21st, 2011, 9:28 AM
CF Veteran

Try saving the file first. Sometimes the reader application is launched before the virus scanning is complete. As far as the calibration goes, a Tech 2 scan tool is needed and the procedure is in the SI or FSM and not in this TSB. Again, best take it to a service department that has the resources to do the job properly.
Old May 26th, 2011, 7:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem with my 06 Malibu. It's the body control module, and a related connector. It can be repaired in about 45 minutes. Check with your dealer, there's a TSB.
Old May 27th, 2011, 7:12 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Tyger
I had the same problem with my 06 Malibu. It's the body control module, and a related connector. It can be repaired in about 45 minutes. Check with your dealer, there's a TSB.
Yes it did turn out to be a bad connection at the body control module. No parts required. The connection was cleaned, brakes lights work fine now. Although it took a bit more time, the mechanic tried replacing the sensor at the brake pedal first.
Old June 1st, 2011, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 06 SS and had the same problem, also the gear shift lever would not come out of park. There are 2 connectors in the fuse panel, C1 and C2. Their big connectors that are locked in. What happens is terminal fretting from general vibrations. Just disconnect them and connect a few times and maybe add a little dielectric grease. Actually terminal fretting is quite common in many areas due to not using gold contacts. Hope this helps all who have this problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 Malibu Brake Light Problem