Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2006 Malibu Brake Light Problem

Old June 2nd, 2011, 6:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jayro
I have a 06 SS and had the same problem, also the gear shift lever would not come out of park. There are 2 connectors in the fuse panel, C1 and C2. Their big connectors that are locked in. What happens is terminal fretting from general vibrations. Just disconnect them and connect a few times and maybe add a little dielectric grease. Actually terminal fretting is quite common in many areas due to not using gold contacts. Hope this helps all who have this problem.

Yes, is exactly the same fix. And yes I have experienced the same issue with the gear shift lever not coming out of park.
Old November 8th, 2011, 8:27 PM
CF Beginner

We have been having the same problem with an 2006 Maxx. First complaints about cruise kicking out and now I have followed my wife twice and the brake lights stay on as if she is riding the brake. At intersections or turns, when she touches the brakes, the lights go out and then come back on after a few yards. Possible rear end collision time.

I did follow the instructions on unplugging and plugging several times the J2 module connector. I'll see in the morning if this has cured the problem. It seems that most GM dealers have not kept up with the problem since there is a TSB on this problem that I followed.

I will be calling the dealer in the morning also to see if they can work on it as a safety issue. Dont really want to pay for faulty materials or non-trained technicians.
Old November 9th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Dale,
Did you talk to the dealer? What did they say? Keep us updated.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old November 12th, 2011, 8:29 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Dale Noel
We have been having the same problem with an 2006 Maxx. First complaints about cruise kicking out and now I have followed my wife twice and the brake lights stay on as if she is riding the brake. At intersections or turns, when she touches the brakes, the lights go out and then come back on after a few yards. Possible rear end collision time.

I did follow the instructions on unplugging and plugging several times the J2 module connector. I'll see in the morning if this has cured the problem. It seems that most GM dealers have not kept up with the problem since there is a TSB on this problem that I followed.

I will be calling the dealer in the morning also to see if they can work on it as a safety issue. Dont really want to pay for faulty materials or non-trained technicians.

The TSB covers this issue and these connectors. I have not had any problems since reseating these connectors.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 5:55 AM
CF Beginner

I had two things going on at the same time with this car. At the dealer we were having some small body work done and when it was done I was going to ask about the brake light problem. Before taking it in I saw the TSB on the J2 plug and did as suggested finding all the problems went away.

Took the car in on Tuesday and was told it would be done by Friday. Replied that was great even if it was Monday. Called Monday and was told it would probably be Wednesday. This dealer has never had the courtesy to keep me informed of changes and if I had not called I would not have known of the different date. Due to this I really don't trust them and will let them know that after picking up the car. This dealer was not even on the list the insurance company gave me but I usually like original equipment. Might use the other bump shops in the future.

Therefore I don't know if the dealer would have approached this brake problem and solved it. I'm going to rely on my own knowledge instead of them.

Last edited by Dale Noel; November 22nd, 2011 at 5:57 AM.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:20 PM
Official GM Rep

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Dale Noel,
Thank you for your feedback on your dealership experience. If you would like to provide additional details, please feel free to PM me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Makes me wonder. Is this a serious offer? What kind of instructions were you given concerning subpar "dealership experience" cases. Are you supposed to report the incident to your employer and, if so, is anything going to come of it?
Old November 23rd, 2011, 9:13 AM
Official GM Rep

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> EinST,

Dealership feedback is always welcome and appreciated. All feedback, good or bad, is documented and used to help create a better customer experience overall. I encourage customers to submit feedback anytime.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 27th, 2012, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

Default ok now what

so I completed the J2 sensor repair which corrected my cruise control and gear shift issues however I still had no brake lights except my center (3rd) light. I have now had the sensor changed by a gm tech who by the way had no clue of the J2 issue...need to find a better gm tech center. I still have no brake lights. Where do I look now...any ideas much appreciated
Old April 27th, 2012, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

I had the same issue and it was a connection as well

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 Malibu Brake Light Problem