Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2009, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytime running lights

Does anybody out there know if the daylight running lights can either be changed to the parking lights, or just diabled all to gether? If anybody knows please let me know.
Thanks.
Lisa M. Stewart
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, disabling your DRLs is actually very easy. All you have to do is remove the fuse in the fuse box located in your engine compartment. If you lift up the fuse box cover, and look at fuse mapping diagram on the cover, find the fuse number that corresponds to Daytime Running Lamps, remove it and your DRLs will no longer come on.
Old April 13th, 2009, 8:13 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am almost certain it's not a fuse. It should be a relay in the engine compartment fuse/relay box behind the battery on the driver side.

Then again I cannot remember whether it's a fuse or relay, but it is located in that box. I was going to remove mine for the summer time and then pop it back in when it starts to get dark out earlier. The only question I had was whether or not the lights will automatically turn on when it's dark out like they do when all is in functioning order. If so, then I will surely take out the relay. If not then maybe... maybe not.
Old April 14th, 2009, 8:42 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by lisam
Does anybody out there know if the daylight running lights can either be changed to the parking lights, or just diabled all to gether? If anybody knows please let me know.
Thanks.
Lisa M. Stewart
Don't use the parking lights for DRL. The 2004 & 2005 Malibu's do that, and are currently being investigated by the NHTSA, due to lamp failure and lamp socket scorching. The plastic parking lamp housing is also melting on these models.

See this topic: https://chevroletforum.com/forum/malibu-15/2004-2007-headlight-fire-hazard-16982/
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2004MaxxLT
Don't use the parking lights for DRL. The 2004 & 2005 Malibu's do that, and are currently being investigated by the NHTSA, due to lamp failure and lamp socket scorching. The plastic parking lamp housing is also melting on these models.

See this topic: https://chevroletforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16982
The 04 - 05 use the turn signal for DRL, the running light would be no problem.
Old April 15th, 2009, 8:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by slls
The 04 - 05 use the turn signal for DRL, the running light would be no problem.
?

The turn signal, parking light / running light are all the same lamp, on my '04. The only other lamps in the front are low & high headlights.
Old April 16th, 2009, 10:18 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2004MaxxLT
?

The turn signal, parking light / running light are all the same lamp, on my '04. The only other lamps in the front are low & high headlights.
Look at the bulb, 2 filaments, the low watt is park and the high watt is directional and DRL. The BCM knows which filament to turn on.
Old April 17th, 2009, 1:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by slls
Look at the bulb, 2 filaments, the low watt is park and the high watt is directional and DRL. The BCM knows which filament to turn on.
Right. So you think the low watt filament would not be a problem; that sounds reasonable. I wonder how hard it would be to do?
Old April 17th, 2009, 10:27 AM
CF Junior Member

Default no idea

I just turn on my park lights when I want low power DRL, or just shut them off with my factory kill switch for all lights.
I think the real problem with them lights are high resistance bulb and socket, low grade metal. Recently I had a rear brake light go out, when I went to replace you could see the bulb wires were burnt and warped. I replace all Wagner bulbs with new brand. The front and rear bulbs are different, I put Sylvania in front and GE in back, time will tell.
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:12 AM
CF Junior Member

I replaced a front turn/parking/DRL lamp with a 'Longer Life' Phillips 3157; it lasted two weeks before burning up. That's when I started looking here for answers.

I had a rear tail lamp go about 2 years ago, replaced it with a Sylvania 3057LL that has been fine ever since.

I really liked the feature of not having to turn on/off exterior lights.

Quick Reply: Daytime running lights