Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2006 malibu windshield washer loss of prime

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2014, 5:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 malibu windshield washer loss of prime

I can blow down the hose into the tank, turn on the washer and squirt fluid out of the hose, but after it runs for about 30 seconds or so, it looses it's prime. Did this a few times, same results. You can hear the pump running, but no fluid. When it is working the fluid only sprays about halfway up the windshield. I found the following and wondered if it would be the same possible repair for my car....

This was from a 2005 SSR with similar problems.
Cause
The cause of this condition may be due to the screened portion of the washer pump grommet becoming restricted. This restriction allows air to be trapped in the pump and then the pump loses its prime.

Correction
Remove the washer pump and grommet from the reservoir, cut the tip (lower screen portion) off of the grommet and reinstall the grommet and washer pump. Refill the reservoir and check windshield washer operation.
Old May 8th, 2014, 10:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a hole in my 2002 j-body from either battery acid or being pinched/rubbed or a combination of both.

I replaced the line from the pump to the outlets. And I put a plastic tubing around it.

So the question becomes - are you losing fluid elsewhere under the car?