Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2007 Malibu Power Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2013, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2007 Malibu Power Steering Problem

Today, I drove my 07 Malibu for 10 minutes, and when I idled for a few minutes, the power steering was shown on the display and the car started beeping. The car's steering suddenly lost power, but everything else was working. It can still be turned manually and returned to normal after I restarted the car. What is the problem? and how can I fix it?

Thank you very much, I really need help.
Old January 24th, 2013, 9:32 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 6ordon
Today, I drove my 07 Malibu for 10 minutes, and when I idled for a few minutes, the power steering was shown on the display and the car started beeping. The car's steering suddenly lost power, but everything else was working. It can still be turned manually and returned to normal after I restarted the car. What is the problem? and how can I fix it?

Thank you very much, I really need help.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 6ordon,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Malibu vehicle. There may be an issue with your power steering / power steering pump. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis.

I recommend consulting with a certified technician for an inspection. They will be able to offer an official diagnosis and repair option(s) after doing so.

If you need assistance locating a technician near you, please feel free to PM me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 24th, 2013, 4:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Chevy Malibu/power steering

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 6ordon,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Malibu vehicle. There may be an issue with your power steering / power steering pump. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis.

I recommend consulting with a certified technician for an inspection. They will be able to offer an official diagnosis and repair option(s) after doing so.

If you need assistance locating a technician near you, please feel free to PM me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Regarding your 2007 Chevy Malibu, This vehicle has Electric power assist steering, Yes I said Electric.. No power steering pump on this one. The problem you are experiencing is a common problem with these electric power assist vehicles, your problem is most likely the power steering tourque sensor on the steering column, but the worst thing it could be is the control module for the power steering assist,, GM has offered help on the 2007, 5 years or 70000 miles, give them a call, they should take care of you if your car fall into any of these two categories. Good luck.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 9:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default Power steering problem on 2007 Chevy Malibu

Originally Posted by Joseph2008
Regarding your 2007 Chevy Malibu, This vehicle has Electric power assist steering, Yes I said Electric.. No power steering pump on this one. The problem you are experiencing is a common problem with these electric power assist vehicles, your problem is most likely the power steering tourque sensor on the steering column, but the worst thing it could be is the control module for the power steering assist,, GM has offered help on the 2007, 5 years or 70000 miles, give them a call, they should take care of you if your car fall into any of these two categories. Good luck.
Joseph2008,

Hello, although your response is very helpful, My car has 102,650 miles on it way past the mileage and 5 year warrantee. I don't believe I an get much help from GM now. The power streeing problem started at about 102,400 miles which is pretty good considering other 2007 Malibu's have this problem at lower mileages.

My concern is that I have gotten conflicting information from a Chevy dealer in Paramus NJ who states that my 2007 Malibu has a hydraulic power steering pump where the reservoir is "buried" in the engine compartment under the steering column. This cannot be true because my husband who is familiar with repairing our cars could not find the power steering hydraulic pump. There is no consistency in the information I have found. If a Chevy dealer doesn't know what they are talking about, who does?
Thank you for any advice on this.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 9:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

you could have electric or hydraulic power steering...depends on which engine option you have. 4cyl eng has electric, 6cyl hydraulic.

Last edited by tech2; January 22nd, 2014 at 9:46 PM.
Old February 25th, 2014, 1:22 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
you could have electric or hydraulic power steering...depends on which engine option you have. 4cyl eng has electric, 6cyl hydraulic.
I am having the same issue with my 2007 chevy malibu. I took my car to the dealership and it was my steering column and power steering motor. It cost me 1,160 to get it fixed. I spoke with gm customer service and they didn't want to help me. Do not drive that car until its fixed. Its dangerous.

Last edited by ylonda24@hotmail.com; February 25th, 2014 at 2:05 PM.
Old April 1st, 2014, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

Default mine is WORSE, roughly same milage

Hi, I very recently ( roughly three weeks ago) just financed a "certified" pre-owned 2007 chevrolet malibu from the chevy dealership. My malibu has started doing the same thing as of yesterday. However mine is much worse. Instead of just losing power steering mine is intermittent is seems, and very rapidly goes from functioning to non-functioning. My steering wheel literally tries to change lanes by itself. My wheel kicks very hard and sharply to the left, and then back to the right. My mileage is also very close to the one stated above at 104,000. I know that there have been more and more recalls. The 5 year 70,000 mile restriction to me i believe is unfair. GM admits that the power steering is faulty, however it is now not my responsibility because it managed to last a little longer than others? I am also a CNC machinist and actually manufacture auto parts, so i would be one to know that some may not be as bad as others. I would really appreciate some kind of advice on how to handle this situation. I would really actually prefer to completely lose power steering and have to steer manually, than have my steering wheel crank left to right by itself. Today i had my alignment checked, my tires balanced checked, brake pads shoes and calipers checked. There seems to be no problem anywhere. Rotors are fine. I would have went back to the dealership I purchased the vehicle from however i worked until late afternoon and when i called the service department was already closed. I believe completely that my problem is a result of this direct recall and would greatly appreciate some assistance in getting this resolved. This vehicle is completely unsafe to drive and i refuse to do so.
Old May 29th, 2014, 11:38 PM
CF Beginner

Exclamation Chevy doesn't wanna help the 07s

My steering becomes very intermittent and rough, and will shake in park(at least 1 out of 3 starts)!! My Chevy dealer couldn't decipher whether my/their own vehicle is hydraulic or electric power steering(kinda scary to think). This will be my last Chevrolet vehicle with the way they have dealt with me over the phone and at the dealership, you can tell they act as if nothing is wrong, which is bogus concerning all their power steering recalls recently(but conveniently not the 07!!). I replaced my main torque/position sensor after chevy did 113$ Worth of bs of "re-calibrating" my already faulty power steering. That wasn't the problem, I believe it to be the motor, however why should I pay to replace more parts for their faulty system that saves all of 8 or 9 horsepower.
I urge all 07 owners with this problem to contact NHTSA and file a complaint, there were 230 on the 07 malibu as of May 28th. Either chevy will wake up to this issue and assist owners with replacements or I will get injured or die in a accident when the steering completely fails on me.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 9:43 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up Chevy dealership said it is motor

Just got back from the chevy dealership today, after talking with GM over the phone I was told GM would cover the diagnostic fee. Luckily the problem happened to the service tech while he was driving it, he said it was the power steering motor. I asked if it might have anything to do with the steering column and he said he had rebuilt enough of the columns to realize it wasn't that, and he was sure it was the motor. Now I'm waiting for chevy to contact me about pricing assistance on the 07 motor, being that they haven't officially come out with a campaign on the 07 (even though it is the same issue with the 06, and 08s.)
Old June 4th, 2014, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down Never again will I buy a Chevy!

Chevy and their district rep (Umar) told me to wait 24-48 hours for a response. After 2 days I had to call back and nothing had changed, they just alerted me that they COULD NOT give me pricing assistance. So I basically waited for Chevy to do nothing for 2 days and waste my time. Their Customer service/ Higher up reps are basically waiting for me to get into an accident before Chevy will take more action. Their customer service reps were of no assistance. I am ordering a new motor for 150 less than the dealership wanted, and hoping/relying on not needing to re calibrate the power steering assist motor once installed.

Quick Reply: 2007 Malibu Power Steering Problem