2008 Malibu - faulty transmission, anyone else? - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

2008 Malibu - faulty transmission, anyone else?

October 10th, 2008, 4:11 PM   #1  
2008 Malibu - faulty transmission, anyone else?

We have a 2008 Malibu purchased new last fall with about 20k on it. I have noticed that sometimes the engine races at highway speeds, even when only accelerating slightly, but figured it was a quirk of the engine. We have never had transmission problems with any car, but then today, trying to pull out of a parking spot - NO REVERSE GEAR! Dealer says it is a problem with the transmission, nice. Anyone else enjoyed problems like this? Our last Malibu wasa 1999and we never hadany problems with it ever.

October 13th, 2008, 8:20 PM   #2  
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic
RE: 2008 Malibu - faulty transmission, anyone else?

Make sure the dealer reads this bulletin below. There are updated parts to prevent this from happening in the future

#08-07-30-034:

Subject:
4T45-E Automatic Transmission (RPO MN5/ME7) No Reverse, Binds in Reverse, No Movement, DTC P0756 (Perform Appropriate Repair as Outlined in Bulletin)
[align=left]

Models:
2008 Buick LaCrosse (Export China Only), LaCrosse Hybrid (Export China Only)
2008 Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR, Malibu, Malibu Hybrid, Malibu Classic[/align][align=left]2008 Pontiac G5, G6[/align][align=left]2008 Saturn AURA, AURA Hybrid, VUE, VUE Hybrid[/align][align=left]with Hydra-Matic® 4T45-E Automatic Transmission (RPOs MN5 (Non-Hybrid) or ME7 (Hybrid))[/align]

[hr]

Condition
Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions:[align=left]

No Reverse[/align][align=left]•
Binds in Reverse[/align][align=left]•
No Movement[/align]In some cases, a scan tool may reveal DTC P0756 set.

Cause

The cause of this condition may be due to direct coast clutch failure.
Correction
A new direct clutch plate has been released mid-year with different friction plate material. If a vehicle has a direct coast clutch failure or a repair that requires a major overhaul, use the information below to determine the appropriate repair. Information will be specific to the model number of the transmission.

Tags
Search this Thread
Sponsors