Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2011 Malibu LTZ 4 cyl. rough idle

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2012, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Malibu LTZ 4 cyl. rough idle

I have a 2011 Malibu LTZ approx. 36k miles and about two months ago started experiencing a rough idle-feels like it might stall sometimes at a stop. The issue is intermittent--will happen one day and not the next. I took it to the dealership and the mechanic said to clean throttle body--so I had the throttle body service and also had the fuel injector sevice done-didn't fix the issue. Started happening again a few days later. Took the car back in to the dealership and they admitted they weren't able to duplicate the issue--however, recommended I get gas from Mobil or Shell (said this is what Chevy recommends and purchase a higher octane gas). And they admitted the weren't able to duplicate the problem the first time I brought it in--but based on the Chevy mechanic website cleaning the throttle body is what is recommended (how they could tell me this would solve the issue, if they weren't able to duplicate it, is beyond me). The dealership said it didn't flag any codes and assured me if the problem was "obvious" he could fix it--can you believe it?? I have been a loyal Chevy customer all my life--I am extremely frustrated. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.
Old October 18th, 2012, 3:11 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Doea, please send a direct message our way if you would like us to explore your next steps with you. I'm very sorry to hear about these frustrations!

Katie (Assisting Louis)
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 24th, 2013, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 malibu ltz 36000

i have the same issue as the first quote i however started the issues couple months ago and have had the car in the shop three times since then for the same thing they have installed a button device that you press and it suppose to record the issue while it is doing this it starts to loose rpm as if loosing fuel pressure and then sometimes itll stop or it will just turn car off then you re crank the car and it go until it does it again very frustrating to take to the dealership and get the answer that it wont do it for us but in the fact it does it while we have the car is mind blowing they have changed the ecm twice now and still same results is there any kinda answer as to what is going on