Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2011 Malibu Water Leak

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2012, 9:09 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Devine187,

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing this problem with your vehicle. Would you please PM me your name and last 8-digits of your VIN, so I can look into this further?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old July 29th, 2012, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures of my problems!

2010 malibu 37k water leak filling passenger front and rear floors (not A/C related already tried that, only happens in heavy rain etc). For me I had to take apart the windshield wiper area and find where the water was draining (see pic) and then pull all carpeting to see where it was entering the cabin. Found out it was a small pinky sized hole at the right of the passenger footwell. I have attached some pictures for future problem solvers...

I vacuumed about 3 gallons of water from under the carpets, stinks like crap... awesome right? Thanks GM!

Dealer first thought it was the A/C problem #09-01-37-002E, after paying to have them fix that the issue is still occurring. The water is filling up the chamber on the structure of the car and is leaking out that hole in the photo... good luck to everyone. Losing trust in Chevy day after day....

Old July 30th, 2012, 2:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default One more just for good measure

Here's what you'll need to dry it out: Dismantling the whole interior, pull all the carpet, 3 large fans, lots of tools, wet/dry shop vac, bottle of glade (vanilla) air freshener, lots of patience and time.... enjoy!
Old August 1st, 2012, 12:02 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up Fix If A/C Related For Water in Rear Floorboard

Okay guys, it appears the mystery of water in my rear floorboard has been solved. Apparently, the water from the condensation was flowing straight to the rear floorboard instead of down to the street. Resolution per Tech, "Install water dam to no longer allow condensation to leak into the floorboards." Not really familiar with the mechanic lingo. But, you can contact National Autocare in Arlington, Tx 817-640-8324 for details. You can speak to the Service Manager, Jonathan Schelp. They knew exactly what to do and understood exactly what I was telling them was occurring. Tech did a test to identify the water flooding was coming from the a/c. The repair only cost me $36. I still think this is a defect on the vehicle and Chevrolet should honor the repair, but have no assistance unless you are within warranty. I only have 66,000 miles on my vehicle and this isn't something normal based on wear and tear. But, anywho, I'm glad National AutoCare was able to repair the issue without breaking my pockets. I hope this information help some of you all who are having this issue.
Old August 1st, 2012, 12:09 AM
CF Beginner

2010malibu, you may want to consider my post if still having issue because water could be slowly building and you notice after heavy rain. I thought it was rain to until I put my A/C on the internal air circulation rather than outside circulation and my rear floorboard was wet within like 30 mins to an hr. So, I know it was strictly related to the release of the condensation from the a/c.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 4:44 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem on a 2008 Malibu that has only 20000 miles. I have gone to the dealer and was told that it is out of warranty. I worked in design and quality for 10 years at GM and know that the service manager can do more but is unwilling. The plant worked with the CAC center, the warranty group and the local service manager to resolve known problems.
Old September 9th, 2012, 5:03 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by adon31
I have the same problem on a 2008 Malibu that has only 20000 miles. I have gone to the dealer and was told that it is out of warranty. I worked in design and quality for 10 years at GM and know that the service manager can do more but is unwilling. The plant worked with the CAC center, the warranty group and the local service manager to resolve known problems.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> adon31,

The HVAC evaporator drain may just be plugged. When did you take the vehicle to your dealer for this issue?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old September 13th, 2012, 2:03 AM
CF Beginner

Hi all,
I f we talk about Malibu performance.A 197-horsepower, 2.5-liter four is the base engine in the 2013 Malibu.Interior wise is good and road grip also awesome.
Old October 31st, 2012, 1:35 AM
CF Beginner

Default Water Leak

Hello everyone!

First post but have been reading the site for a while. Anyway... I have a 2008 Malibu LTZ with 30k miles and a warranty... Was a GM certified used car. I am having a large leak issue at the moment however. The passenger floor board had two inches of water sitting in it when I got back from a California trip. The vehicle had been sitting for 9 days... so....no condensation from the AC. The leak is coming from under the dash area as I can actually see the drip now that it is raining here. When I reached back to the area where the water was dripping from I was able to bump it and a bunch of water poured out. Suppose my question would be....where is the hole that is allowing water to enter my interior??? The way it is coming out behind the dash tells me it could be a window seal or a firewall leak?
Old November 1st, 2012, 7:57 AM
Official GM Rep

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> IKSDoomsday,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Malibu vehicle. This issue may be due to a plugged evaporator drain. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I recommend having the vehicle inspected by a certified technician. They will be able to offer an official diagnosis, and repair option(s), after inspecting the vehicle.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Quick Reply: 2011 Malibu Water Leak