Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2013 Malibus needing new engines Bulletin 13283

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2013, 5:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Malibus needing new engines Bulletin 13283

We just bought a new 2013 Malibu less than 2 weeks old. The service manager leaves us a message about bulletin 13283. I figure no big deal, maybe a loose bolt or software update. They want to put a new engine in our new car with 200 miles because it might have a piston casting problem. This is outrageous. The service manager told my wife its just 5 bolts no big deal. Yeah right, Exhaust, electrical, fuel, cooling. There is no way I'm letting them do this, I want a new car if this problem is so serious. I'm looking for advice here as I'm so upset I'm insisting on a new car or a complete refund. I fear moving forward with an engine swap will result in a car that is nothing but head aches. Been a long time GM fan for years and I'm just about done with them. Sad thing is we really enjoyed the car for 1 week.

The service manager also said they issued a stop delivery on these cars and will be replacing all the affected engines before sales. This seems almost impossible to me. I have never heard of such a thing. The bulletin says its for 2013-2014 Malibu/Impala Equipped with 4 Cylinder Engine (RPO LCV or LKW).

Old September 12th, 2013, 8:16 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Below sounds like the TSB you are referring to even though the numbers are not the same. Basically they want to check your car for the noise. It seems they only want to check it first and will replace engine only is noise is present. It highly unlikely you will get a refund or replacement car. An engine swap is no big deal, fairly simple job especially in a car with 200 miles. When they are done you will never be able to even tell when you open the hood.
Old September 12th, 2013, 8:16 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

SERVICE UPDATE

Bulletin No.: 12270

Date: November 01, 2012

Subject: 12270 Service Update for Inventory Vehicles Only Engine Crankshaft Noise Drive Audit Expires October 31, 2013

Models:
2013 Cadillac ATS
2013 Chevrolet Malibu
Equipped with 2.5L Engine (LCV)

This service update involves vehicles in dealer inventory only and will expire October 31, 2013.

Purpose

This bulletin provides a service procedure to perform a drive audit on certain 2013 model year Cadillac ATS and Chevrolet Malibu vehicles, equipped with a 2.5L engine (LCV). A small number of engines may develop a crankshaft bearing noise condition at low mileage. The drive audit must be completed before vehicle delivery (and in addition to normal pre-delivery inspection activities) to identify vehicles with the condition. If the condition is found, dealers are to replace the engine under the existing exchange program, see PI0768C for details.

This service procedure should be completed on involved vehicles currently in dealership inventory as soon as possible but no later than October 31, 2013, at which time this bulletin will expire.

Vehicles Involved

All involved vehicles are identified by VIN in the Global Warranty Management System - Investigate Vehicle History Application. Dealership technicians should always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs. It is important to routinely use this tool to verify eligibility because not all similar vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content.

Additionally, a list of involved vehicles currently in dealer inventory is available on the "Service Update Bulletin Information" link under the "Service" tab in GM GlobalConnect (US) or attached to the GlobalConnect message (Canada) used to release this bulletin.

Parts Information

No parts are required for the drive audit. If an engine replacement is necessary, contact the Product Quality Center as instructed in bulletin # PI0768C, Engine Exchange Program.

Service Procedure

Caution

- Noise will be a low frequency clack (deep noise - not a click or whine noise) at about the frequency of a person tapping their finger as fast as they can.
- If at any time during the test unusual engine noise develops stop the test and have the vehicle towed back to the dealership.
- If the rod bearing is spun during this test, the vehicle will have to be towed back to the dealership.
- Locate an area near the dealership where this procedure can be safely performed.
1. Start vehicle and turn radio and HVAC off.
2. Let idle for one minute listening for unusual engine noises.
- If engine noise is heard, determine source of engine noise. Refer to SI if required.
- If no engine noise is heard, proceed to the next step.
3. Proceed to highway - obey all traffic laws.
4. Starting at 30 mph (50 km/h) do a wide open throttle to 60 mph (100 km/h).
5. Once vehicle speed reaches 60 mph (100 km/h), coast back down to 30 mph (50 km/h).
6. Repeat Steps 4 and -5 a total of ten times.
7. Return dealership, PUT VEHICLE IN PARK , shut off HVAC and all accessories, open hood, rev the engine to 3000-3,500 RPM, take foot off throttle and let RPM return to idle. Listen for unusual noises.
- If no unusual noise is present, no further action is required.
- If unusual noise is present, replace the engine following the instructions found in bulletin # PI0768C. Submit a warranty transaction for the drive audit using the labor code contained in this bulletin. Submit for the engine replacement under normal warranty.
Warranty Transaction Information

Submit a transaction using the table below.

* Submit for the actual cost for the gasoline required for the drive audit in Net Item, not to exceed $4.50 USD, $5.70 CAD.

Dealer Program Responsibility

Dealers must take the steps necessary to ensure that the service update correction has been made to all involved vehicles in dealer inventory before selling, dealer-trading, or using the vehicle for demonstration purposes, but no later than October 31, 2013.
Old September 12th, 2013, 9:29 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Not to scare scare you by the pictures below. In the pictures below is a 2007/09 malibu. It was in an accident bad enough to crush the front end and bend the passenger side frame rail. After the Body shop next door removed the carnage they brought it over to my shop with a fork lift. I removed the engine/ trans as an assembly. It only took about a half hour (mind you a lot of the front end was torn/ cut off. They took it back to their shop to replace the frame rail. We took the engine and trans out back with a fork lift (shrink wrapped for weather protection) 3-5 days later I put it all back together. It only took about 45min (core support was still gone). When it was done the only thing you tell by looking under the hood was the frame rail was a slightly different color.

The point is the engine and trans drop out as an assembly on the front subframe. To get it out it truly not much more than 5 bolts and some fluids. And total actual working time is less than 5 hour.
Attached Thumbnails 2013 Malibus needing new engines Bulletin 13283-img_0466.jpg   2013 Malibus needing new engines Bulletin 13283-img_0467.jpg   2013 Malibus needing new engines Bulletin 13283-img_0468.jpg   2013 Malibus needing new engines Bulletin 13283-img_0470.jpg   2013 Malibus needing new engines Bulletin 13283-img_0471.jpg  

Old September 13th, 2013, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

But wouldn't that require them to remove the transmission off the old engine and attach to the new one. That car seemingly runs just fine. Since it has a 5 year 100k mile warranty wouldn't it make the most sense to drive it and see what happens. Per the bulletin it makes it sound like there is a lot of could be, might be. In my mind it would make more sense to give it a test of time. The bulletin makes it sound there might be a piston slightly out of spec that could hit a valve. I didn't think an engine would really change that much over time. Also why does it only apply to vehicles in the inventory and why are they sending me this notice since my car has already been sold.

13283: Service Update for Inventory Vehicles Only - Engine Piston Casting Error - (Sep 6, 2013)
13283 – Service Update— Engine Piston Casting Error
2013-2014 Chevrolet Malibu and Impala
Equipped with 4 Cylinder Engine (RPO LCV or LKW)

An analysis of engine build data revealed that there could be a durability issue with the engines originally installed in these vehicles.
Purpose
<DIR><DIR>This bulletin provides a service procedure to replace the engine assembly on certain 2013-2014 Chevrolet Malibu and Impala vehicles equipped with 4 cylinder engine (RPO LCV or LKW). Due to a casting error, these vehicles may have engine pistons that are dimensionally incorrect. Over time, contact between the cylinder valves and the piston could result in engine noise, rough running and/or bent valves.
</DIR></DIR>Vehicles Involved
<DIR><DIR>All involved vehicles are identified by VIN in the Global Warranty Management System – Investigate Vehicle History Application. Dealership technicians should always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs.
</DIR></DIR>Parts Information
Replacement engines will be shipped directly to dealers at no charge from the involved engine assembly plants.
Old September 13th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Vehicle not yet in dealer inventory have already either been fixed at the factory or built with the fixed engine.
Old September 17th, 2013, 9:16 AM
CF Beginner

The owner of the dealership called us last night and GM is willing to give us a new car. They should have never sold us the one with the potential bad motor. Personally I think the engine is fine. We took it from 30 to 70 pretty hard a few times and it runs just great. The new one won't have the body molding but we weren't going to get that in first place. Started to get used to the look, I guess I can add it myself. Doesn't seem like it will do that much.
Old September 20th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by johns811
The owner of the dealership called us last night and GM is willing to give us a new car. They should have never sold us the one with the potential bad motor. Personally I think the engine is fine. We took it from 30 to 70 pretty hard a few times and it runs just great. The new one won't have the body molding but we weren't going to get that in first place. Started to get used to the look, I guess I can add it myself. Doesn't seem like it will do that much.
Hello johns811,

I am sorry you experienced multiple issues with your new 2013 Malibu. I apologize for any trouble and inconvenience this has caused, but am glad the dealer and GM helped resolve this concern. If you would like to discuss your situation with us, please reach out via private message. We can help answer questions and assist with additional concerns you have.

Regards,

Laura M.
Chevrolet Customer Care