Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2014 Malibu air blow warm when idle

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2014, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Malibu air blow warm when idle

I have a 14 Malibu lt. I love my car but hate the ac in it. I have taken the car to the dealership 4 times since I bought it in Oct. The first time was to reprogram for the recall where it wouldn't let you change the controls. Then took it back in two more times and they said it was a bad relay. Fine after that the controls worked great. Now that it is hot in Texas I notice sometimes when I am idling at a light, not in auto stop, the ac will blow warmer almost like it is in auto stop mode then once I start driving it will get ice cold. HUGE difference in temp. I took it in 2 days ago and they said it was an O ring leak or something like that and they had to put Freon in it. Well I picked it up yesterday and it is still doing the same thing. I really don't think they know what it is they are just blowing smoke. It is really aggravating and HOT. Any suggestions?
Old July 4th, 2014, 8:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do the 14' malibus have electric power steering or a steering pump? Are you engaging the power steering at idle?

What happens when you put the car in neutral and rev the engine slightly? Does the air get cold again?

Do you have the AC on AUTO? Have you tried setting it on "LO" ?

Do you have air re-circulation ON or OFF? Set it to ON.
Old July 7th, 2014, 12:56 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
Do the 14' malibus have electric power steering or a steering pump? Are you engaging the power steering at idle?

What happens when you put the car in neutral and rev the engine slightly? Does the air get cold again?

Do you have the AC on AUTO? Have you tried setting it on "LO" ?

Do you have air re-circulation ON or OFF? Set it to ON.

Not sure about the power steering if electric or not. I am not engaging it at the time of idle.

The a/c does it weather on low or high and it is on re-circulate

I have tested once with it when it happens and put it in neutral and it seems to start getting colder.

It still blows a good amount just not as cold when idle. The service manager texted me on Friday and said he emailed GM to see if they had any suggestions. I am getting so frustrated
I have been driving my daughters 2004 sebring just so I don't have to deal with it
Old June 12th, 2015, 4:16 PM
CF Beginner

I am still having the same issue with my car air conditioning. It is really annoying since it is 100 degrees in Texas now. One thing I have noticed if I sit and listen to the air, it fluctuates with the engine when sitting still. They think I am crazy at the dealership but they are not the ones driving it in this heat.
Old June 13th, 2015, 12:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

You might but a thermometer on one of the vents so you can tell the dealer what the temperature fluctuation is at speed vs idle. Doesn't fix it but maybe gives them more info to help with a diagnosis