Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2015 Malibu 2LT trunk unexpectedly opens

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2015, 11:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation 2015 Malibu 2LT trunk unexpectedly opens

I took my 2015 Malibu 2LT to the dealership to see if they could determine why the trunk lid sometimes opens unexpectedly. It's happened twice so far with the car locked over a period of about 5 months. I'd come out to the car as it sits in the parking lot and the trunk is wide open. The dealership went through their diagnostics but could not reproduce the condition. There must be something that can be done especially since this car is still in warrantee.

I know I'm not accidentally pressing the trunk button on the key fob. After it happened the first time, I put the fob in my shirt pocket.
The following users liked this post:
mmsallegro (December 8th, 2020)
Old August 4th, 2015, 8:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first impression is a sensitive FOB. Have it reprogrammed.
Old August 4th, 2015, 10:58 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry500
I took my 2015 Malibu 2LT to the dealership to see if they could determine why the trunk lid sometimes opens unexpectedly. It's happened twice so far with the car locked over a period of about 5 months. I'd come out to the car as it sits in the parking lot and the trunk is wide open. The dealership went through their diagnostics but could not reproduce the condition. There must be something that can be done especially since this car is still in warrantee.

I know I'm not accidentally pressing the trunk button on the key fob. After it happened the first time, I put the fob in my shirt pocket.
Hi Terry500,

Very sorry for the frustrating concern regarding your FOB. We would be more than happy to get in touch with the dealership on your behalf regarding a possible option to reprogram. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 4th, 2015, 2:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Email has been sent to Chevrolet Customer Care addressed to Patsy G along with the requested information to reprogram the fob.
Old August 4th, 2015, 4:01 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry500
Email has been sent to Chevrolet Customer Care addressed to Patsy G along with the requested information to reprogram the fob.
Thanks, Terry! We'll be sure to have Patsy keep an eye out. Talk to you soon.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 6th, 2015, 9:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trunk opening

Unwanted Trunk Opening

September 18, 2013
<!-- article-content --> Owners of some 2014 Impala models and 2013 ATS models (applies to ATS models built prior to April 8, 2013 only) may experience the trunk opening without having requested the trunk to open.

The unwanted trunk opening may be due to the trunk release button (Fig. 7) on the Remote Keyless Entry transmitter (key fob) requiring a quick button press (only 0.2 seconds is required) to open the trunk. As a result, the trunk may be opening when the key fob button is inadvertently pressed while in a pocket or purse.
Fig 7
If this condition is present and the owner would like to increase the amount of time required when pressing the key fob trunk release button, contact the Techline Customer Support Center (TCSC: 1-800-828-6860, English, or 1-800-503-3222, French) for a VCI number to install a new BCM calibration. The new calibration will extend the required minimum time for a trunk release button press on the key fob to one second.

TIP: Once programmed, inform the customer about the new operation of the key fob. It will be necessary to press and hold the trunk release button for one second before the trunk will open.

- Thanks to Christopher Hightower and Stephen Jacob
<!-- /article-content -->
Old October 29th, 2015, 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by extremeadventurer
My first impression is a sensitive FOB. Have it reprogrammed.
I checked both FOBS last night.They both have a 2 second delay before the trunk opens.So what the heck is going on here? Is someone using the RemoteLink app in Alaska and opening my trunk in Texas? The mystery continues. Should I tie the trunk lid down?
Old January 12th, 2020, 7:24 AM
CF Beginner

My 2015 Malibu trunk has started to open all by itself --- sometimes when I shut a door and sometimes while driving. Could it be a malfunctioning switch? Can someone tell me how to troubleshoot it? Thanks Malibu Team
Old January 12th, 2020, 8:17 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by ff250put
My 2015 Malibu trunk has started to open all by itself --- sometimes when I shut a door and sometimes while driving. Could it be a malfunctioning switch? Can someone tell me how to troubleshoot it? Thanks Malibu Team
Someone had this issue recently, might have been on an Impala, but he found skinned wire in the trunk harness causing this. Look there first.
Old December 8th, 2020, 6:43 AM
CF Beginner

We have a Chevy Malibu and it is definitely NOT the remotes as the remotes were not working. The trunk pops....and we have linked it to garage door openers....just what we needed in a car purchased for our college student who has practicums and had to have a vehicle. Not something I look forward to trying to figure out fixing or paying to have fixed.

How can we fix it.?

What's worse way to open the trunk with just a key....technology is as imperfect as humans...why in the world did chevy create a way not to open a trunk without the electronics. Yes I know someone can pick a lock but honestly I need to have someone's garage door opener or ensure the trunk internal climb through back seat mechanism can be reached to open the trunk without someone else's garage door opener? Ridiculous.

This will make me reconsider chevy's as I have never owned one previously and as my first experience not satisfied at all.

Quick Reply: 2015 Malibu 2LT trunk unexpectedly opens