Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Warning Chimes inaudible

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2016, 2:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Warning Chimes inaudible

Hello all, I brought my 2012 Malibu to my dealer to replace my headlights (as one went out) and for an oil change. When leaving, I noticed that my turn signal sounded slighty different and later realized that I wasn't hearing the car's warning chimes when I hit the lock button with the door open. If I listen with my ear close to the front (tweeter?) speaker in the corner of my door, I can very faintly hear the chimes dinging. When I put on the radio and shift all the balance to the front two tiny speakers, although it sounds bad, it seems to be working normal and isn't quiet at all.

I took it to the Chevy dealer and they told me that they think my speakers are bad and need replaced, and that they would need to take apart my door to try the new speakers which would cost me roughly $300 once its all said and done. The fact that after 3 years of owning this car the warning chimes quit working during the 3 hours that they had my car does not seem coincidental. Yet, I was assured multiple times that changing headlights couldn't possibly have affected the speakers.... while I think that replacing the speakers would likely be one way to fix my issue, I honestly don't buy that that is the only resolution.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this issue or troubleshooting ideas to help me move forward? I think I am done taking my car to this particular dealership ..

Thanks
Old January 3rd, 2017, 10:14 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go to the settings in your driver information center and see what your chimes are set at. You can adjust them.