Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

68,000 mile transmission failure

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2016, 6:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68,000 mile transmission failure

My 2011 Malibu LT1 has been switching into reverse kind of slow for about a week now. Yesterday I put in drive and it wouldn't move. What is with that? I need to know if there is some warranty coverage available to fix this premature problem? My car has been pampered since day one, I could never have imagined my transmission failing with so few miles. I need answers. Was there a recall? Is GM aware of this issue with other clients, customers?

Jonzun1
Old February 15th, 2016, 10:54 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Did you buy the extended warranty? If you did then take it back to the dealer. Does it go in forward? Did you check the fluid level? You can always try one of the transmission tune up products. It is worth a try before a rebuild.
Old February 15th, 2016, 3:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old chevy

Old Chevy,

Thank you for commenting. It makes a very loud whine noise when I start it, then goes away. Check engine light is on. I am taking her to have her checked tomorrow. I am hoping for the best. I did not buy extended warranty, although I am hoping that Chevy will take mileage into consideration. I have been nothing but happy with my car. I hope that I don't have any major problems and would expect nothing but for Chevy to honor it's products. 68,000 miles is very premature in my book.

Last edited by Jonzun1; February 15th, 2016 at 3:35 PM. Reason: title