Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

98 Malibu Cassette Player Panel or Pocket

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2015, 3:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Malibu Cassette Player Panel or Pocket

I recently bought a new radio for my car and I feel like removing my tape player (because it's 2015), however I can not find a panel or pocket anywhere to do this with. Have any of you done this before or would know where to get one for this? Thanks in advance.
Old December 30th, 2015, 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

Just for anyone in the future, I took it into my own hands and made one out of the tape players metal box.

I removed the screws on the sides and back of the box, then I removed all the internal components (the only tool I used the entire time for removal was a pair of wirecutters, even for screw removal).

Once I had everything out, I bent the tabs in the back that held the circuit board so that they were straight with the walls.

After that I went and grabbed a hot glue gun from the shed and some felt and proceeded to line the interior of the box with felt. I did two layers so you cant see the line from where the clue was.

Then I just had to pop it back together!

Here is it finished:

Just installed it and it fits really well! Honestly if I weren't the one who made it, I would think it game from the factory like that. Here's a picture of it installed:

Last edited by masoni2; December 30th, 2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 7:27 PM
CF Beginner

Hey man I saw this and tried it on my 95 Silverado. Haven't got a chance to use it going down the road yet but that's a heck of an idea. Looks great!
Old January 2nd, 2016, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

Looks great!
Attached Thumbnails 98 Malibu Cassette Player Panel or Pocket-photo921.jpg  
Old April 26th, 2016, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ihgnah
Looks great!
Your's looks awesome too! I'm still very happy with mine. Ironically, we also have the same deck