Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Auto stop failure

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2016, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Auto stop failure

I was driving my 2014 Malibu with auto stop. The auto stop system has worked satisfactorily many times. Yesterday the auto stop system stopped my engine as I waited at a stop light. But the engine would not restart! I turned on the emergency blinkers, turned the engine off and tried to start the engine. The starter would not engage. I turned the engine off and waited a bit longer and it restarted. I drove about another mile, stopped at a light and auto stop happened again. I was very nervous but the engine started without a problem. I called both local GM dealers and their service departments did not have a clue.
Old March 25th, 2016, 5:05 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by maybewiser
I was driving my 2014 Malibu with auto stop. The auto stop system has worked satisfactorily many times. Yesterday the auto stop system stopped my engine as I waited at a stop light. But the engine would not restart! I turned on the emergency blinkers, turned the engine off and tried to start the engine. The starter would not engage. I turned the engine off and waited a bit longer and it restarted. I drove about another mile, stopped at a light and auto stop happened again. I was very nervous but the engine started without a problem. I called both local GM dealers and their service departments did not have a clue.
Hello maybewiser,

We’re very sorry to hear of this experience, and can certainly understand your feelings of concern. Our team is more than happy to look further into this on our end and can get in contact with your preferred dealer to explore what repair options are available to you. Please send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, full contact information and name of preferred dealership at your earliest convenience.

We look forward to your response,

Helen
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 27th, 2016, 1:10 PM
CF Junior Member

My wife bought a 2016 Malibu. It has the auto stop feature. If it was me that was buying it I wouldn't have bought it. I hate the auto stop. I wish there was a way to turn it off.
Old March 27th, 2016, 2:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

talk to the dealer. other brands autostart systems have inhibit features.
Old April 2nd, 2016, 10:07 PM
CF Junior Member

I talked to dealership. They don't think u can disable auto stop. I recommend any one looking at one of these cars with auto stop try before u buy. I hate to drive this in town it dies and restarts at every stop. Very annoying....
Old April 2nd, 2016, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

dodge systems inhibit for just your seat belt not buckled.

eventually, someone will come out with a custom ecm tune to shut it off.

its a big thing in Europe where the price of fuel is crazy. Not so much for suv driving gas guzzling north Americans....yes, yes we are.
Old April 5th, 2016, 11:31 AM
CF Beginner

Re: auto stop failure: I tightened the cable leading from thee engine compartment battery to the small trunk battery and I have had no more difficulty with auto stop. It did not seem loose and turned the nut less than a half turn. It would be useful to know the torque recommendations but I could not find them
Old June 20th, 2016, 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

I noticed when I was driving my 2016 malibu home from the dealership after purchasing it that if I had the air condition on full the engine did not auto stop/start, but if the blower was on anything lower, it would start the auto stop/start when I stopped at a traffic light. Might have been a fluke as I only had the blower on full for that one driving instance, but might be a way to keep it running if you have issues with it???
Old November 12th, 2017, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

I have read that if you disconnect the small battery in the trunk the auto stop is disabled
Old November 13th, 2017, 7:38 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by sbill91
I have read that if you disconnect the small battery in the trunk the auto stop is disabled
Guess I'll find out when that battery goes bad. I dont like auto stop and I'll figure out away to defeat it when the time comes.